Automotive Tach on Boat

soggy_feet

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Automotive Tach on Boat

Why would it depend on anything?

Buy tach, set for number of cylinders, install wiring. Last I knew, thats about it...

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Keep in mind an automotive tachometer may fail sooner than you'd like since it's not designed to survive in a marine environment. The high humidity will kill it, especially if it's in a saltwater area.

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That works well for a four-stroke, two-strokes not so well.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Why would it depend on anything?

Buy tach, set for number of cylinders, install wiring. Last I knew, thats about it...

because some engines don't fit the settings....4 cycle 4 6 or 8 cyls = 2 3 or 4 pulses per revolution....
2 cycle 6 cyl = 6 pulses per revolution and there are others that won't work.... also some ign systems are more or less difficult to hook a generic tach too....

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Hook one up and give it a try. Can't hurt...will just read wrong if the poles aren't set correctly...

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

or better yet POST UP the engine you want to run it on.... ya know?

Sharp Shooter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Keep in mind an automotive tachometer may fail sooner than you'd like since it's not designed to survive in a marine environment. The high humidity will kill it, especially if it's in a saltwater area.

We use them sometimes and they do just fine. And we use them in a very harsh envirenment compared to the average fishing boat or family cruiser.

normal_DSC01298.JPG

45Auto

Commander

And we use them in a very harsh envirenment compared to the average fishing boat or family cruiser.

You really think your boat is a harsher environment than the average fishing boat or family cruiser?

Do you think it spends more time on the water than the average fishing boat or family cruiser?

Just how often do you run in rain or salt water or less than ideal weather conditions with water coming over the windshield?

My guess is that it might go a little faster, but the wind speed of a few MPH difference isn't going to bother the tach anything like the typical marine environment a family cruiser or fishing boat experiences.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Conventional Automotive Tachometers run off the pulses on the single automotive coil, associated with a distributor. If your motor has multiple coils (most do), you will get a false reading, or no reading at all, depending on the type of ign pulse. There are newer tachs for more modern cars without distributors. Those may work, but I would doub't the price would be less than a marine tach, so what would be the point?

I keep my boats in salt water. Marine-specific gauges do not always last very long. Automotive tach are made to be kept is a dry environment, which is free from salt. I doub't they would last very long in an open boat, or one that is kept in salt water.

Sharp Shooter

Petty Officer 1st Class

You really think your boat is a harsher environment than the average fishing boat or family cruiser?
Absolutely!
Do you think it spends more time on the water than the average fishing boat or family cruiser?

No, but tooling around with fish or family isn't exactly hard on equipment.

Just how often do you run in rain or salt water or less than ideal weather conditions with water coming over the windshield?

Twice a year and every lap in a race.

My guess is that it might go a little faster, but the wind speed of a few MPH difference isn't going to bother the tach anything like the typical marine environment a family cruiser or fishing boat experiences.

A little faster? :D Not only can these boats run up on 150 mph in seconds we crash them sometimes. :D

Here's a little video of a smooth water timed event (for exhibition).

45Auto

Commander

Absolutely!

LMAO!! Got to admit, that video sure shows some rough conditions for that instrument panel! :rolleyes:

No, but tooling around with fish or family isn't exactly hard on equipment.

Lots rougher than sitting on a trailer in a garage .....

Twice a year and every lap in a race.

Yeah, that's got to be rough on it being used every 6 months or so - much rougher than being used every day.

Not only can these boats run up on 150 mph in seconds we crash them sometimes.

You think it really matters how fast the tach is moving? And you think an automotive tach stands up better to water immersion in a sinking better than a marine tach?

If you believe that a smooth fresh-water run on a sunny day that barely gets a dozen drops of water on the camera lens at the back of a boat is a harsh environment (wow - and twice at year at that!), far be it from me to claim differently! ;)

Sharp Shooter

Petty Officer 1st Class

LMAO!! Got to admit, that video sure shows some rough conditions for that instrument panel! :rolleyes:

Lots rougher than sitting on a trailer in a garage .....

Yeah, that's got to be rough on it being used every 6 months or so - much rougher than being used every day.

You think it really matters how fast the tach is moving? And you think an automotive tach stands up better to water immersion in a sinking better than a marine tach?

If you believe that a smooth fresh-water run on a sunny day that barely gets a dozen drops of water on the camera lens at the back of a boat is a harsh environment (wow - and twice at year at that!), far be it from me to claim differently! ;)

That video is far from racing conditions. The vibration and g-forces cannot be duplicated by a cheap camera. Family and fishing boats putt around comfortably and utilize cushy v-bottom designs to make the ride even smoother.

In the past our racing circuit entailed 26 races a year. That's 3 days of extreme boating every other week.

Floating in your fishing boat for 10 painfully boring hours or pulling your 6 year old on a tube for 20 minutes at a mind blowing 14 mph doesn't begin to compre to the abuse we put our equipment through.

I grew up 15 minutes from the beach and have been out on the ocean fishing more times than I can count (on charters or with friends). I've also been on trips to other parts of the country and have experienced all types of recreational and speed boating.

HAve you ever been in a sprint boat race? I didn't think so.... lol

pmillar

Petty Officer 1st Class

You might look into motorcycle tachs, fwiw. They are designed to be in the elements and you could even find them for 2-strokes if need be. E-bay is your friend either way.

NYBo

Admiral

1979 70 HP evinrude
No.

You might look into motorcycle tachs, fwiw. They are designed to be in the elements and you could even find them for 2-strokes if need be. E-bay is your friend either way.
It would make a lot more sense to just buy a proper outboard tach. Plus, he could buy other instruments that match or buy a tach that matches his current instruments (if any).

RIDEPATE

Petty Officer 1st Class

That video is far from racing conditions. The vibration and g-forces cannot be duplicated by a cheap camera. Family and fishing boats putt around comfortably and utilize cushy v-bottom designs to make the ride even smoother.

In the past our racing circuit entailed 26 races a year. That's 3 days of extreme boating every other week.

Floating in your fishing boat for 10 painfully boring hours or pulling your 6 year on a tube for 20 minutes at a mind blowing 14 mph doesn't begin to compre to the abuse we put our equipment through.

I grew up 15 minutes from the beach and have been out on the ocean fishing more times than I can count (on charters or with friends). I've also been on trips to other parts of the country and have experienced all types of recreational and speed boating.

HAve you ever been in a sprint boat race? I didn't think so.... lol

Nice sharp!! You find that Go-Pro that flew off your helment???

Sharp Shooter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice sharp!! You find that Go-Pro that flew off your helment???

Ha ha That was my buddy Gordy. There's a hollywood movie screenwriter for an upcoming speed boat movie that stuck that camera strap on Gordy's helmet. The camera is long gone...lol

I securely mount and tether my cameras.:)

RIDEPATE

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ha ha That was my buddy Gordy. There's a hollywood movie screenwriter for an upcoming speed boat movie that stuck that camera strap on Gordy's helmet. The camera is long gone...lol

I securely mount and tether my cameras.:)

LOL When I first saw it, I said to myself, no duct tape???