Running an engine in a barrel or ears?

happyzee

Seaman Apprentice
Hi! Everyone.<br />I've got a simple question; What is better water ears or running an engine in a barrel? For one thing, where does one get a barrel? Water ears are available even at Wal-Mart....<br />Ears are easier .... hmmmmm<br /><br />Perplexed :confused: <br /><br />Ken Z.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Running an engine in a barrel or ears?

Depends what you want to accomplish...if you only want to flush the innards of the block or see if she will start you can use the muffs. If you want to see if it runs, or tune it use a tank. You can find a stock tank from a local farm supply that would do fine for all but the largest of motors. If you have a 20hp or less you can use a steel barrel or a plastic one of the 50-55 gallon variety. I am sure others will have some better ideas, but these have worked for me over the years...just some Thoughts

D

DJ

happyzee,<br /><br />A barrel or tank will give you more "real life" like interpretations on what your engine is doing. OB's need back pressure. The muffs are fine for flushing.<br /><br />There are still plenty of the plastic 55 gal. barrels hanging around from the folks that thought the world was going to end with Y2K.

tenacrewoods

Cadet

You gan also use a large trash can,just make sure it's cleaned out good,water is couple of inches over cavitation plate and you don't run over just above idel while in gear.

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

As submerging the lower unit immitates 'real' running you even get the silencing from the water.<br /><br />Muffs don't cover the hub thus allowing the exhaust noise 'please' neighbours etc.<br /><br />My Merc 115 doesn't leave anybody asleep around here.. :p

mbb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

running submerged puts pressure on the motor exhaust. Water develops 1 psi for 27" of water depth. Without the pressure from submergence, water doesnt completely flush, usually wont come out of the idle bypass holes.

Trent

Captain

Mbb...Like to see the data you got for your last post...Interesting????