Coil question 73 Johnson 25HP

CatfishMN

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi,

This may be an easy question, but I don't want to ruin the new coils I bought, so I thought I'd ask. These are OMC coils part no. 0502881.

So the coils came in these pieces: Coil, spark plug wire, boot, and a small 'spring' looking thing that has a 90 degree bend in the wire that turns into a coil (has a sharp point on the 90 degree bend)..

Where the spark plug wire enters the coil is a sharp metal screw, so I assume I just screw the wire onto that, and that's how connection is made on that end.

The boot is where my main question is. Does the coiled wire thing go into the boot to receive the spark plug? Should the other end of the spark plug wire just be pushed onto the sharp end?

Any tips or trick for this would be appreciated!

Thanks!

AlTn

Commander
Re: Coil question 73 Johnson 25HP

yes to the coil connection end...the "spike" on the terminal is pushed through the sparkplug wiire and is then pushed into the sparkplug boot..looks like there's no way that'll happen, but the boot will stretch enough for this..a little wd40 helps..a note: TD and others instruct to strip back the rubber on the plug end of the spark plug wire about 1/2" or so, then "fan out" the wires to increase the area of contact between the terminal and the plugwire, before inserting the terminal into the boot....looking into the plug portion of the boot, the terminal should be in a position that allows it to slip onto the sparkplug.....you'll see all this if you'll pull the sparkplug wire and terminal out of the old boot...a little wd helps here as well