Barber's 1977 Starcraft SS 18

gfbiii51

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This may not be the right place for this post, my first, but there is an eventual restore here and this is the community that led me to this lunacy.

OK, you guys are a bad influence, enablers. First I bought this sweet-looking, 1982 model, glass boat. I put it in the water twice and couldn?t get the motor started. :confused: After I owned it a week, I sent it to a mechanic who kept it almost a month. In the meantime, I discovered this forum. The mechanic hadn?t even gotten to my boat but I had this sick feeling my sweet little glasser was rotten.:facepalm: I knew the floor was soft but I figured that was an easy fix with a sheet of plywood on top. Guess what??? Not only is the floor all but gone, the transom is very soft and the stringers are hollow. :mad:

You see, I initially had the mistaken impression that fiberglass boats didn?t rot. I bought a Thompson wood (plywood lapstrake) boat to renovate and was introduced to rot. Long story short, that boat was too big, too previously abused and we moved to a place where I couldn?t work on it inside, so I sold it. (I?ll post some pics eventually. It was a cool old boat.) I remembered the 14? Holiday glass boat (with 1965 Johnson 30) we had when I was growing up. You know, the one I launched on the highway when I was 17 :redface:?oh wait, that?s another story.

While I was waiting on the mechanic, I continued to scour CL mostly for fun?some days I was looking for another boat. I also spent a lot of time here. First I discovered Azlo?s Starcraft resto and my interest was piqued. Then I read Jasoutside?s Islander thread (I can?t believe I read the WHOLE thing!!!) and fell for tin boats. I also discovered the concept of a donor glasser, oh my. :eek:

About the time, I retrieved by glasser from the mechanic, I found this Starcraft SS 18 on CL at The Little Boat Yard. He wanted $600 for the boat and trailer. As far as I can tell, the boat is all original. Since I paid $2,000 (plus $200 for sales tax) for the rotten glasser (with a good trailer and a neat little 1982 70 Merc with tilt and trim), that sounded like a pretty good price. I ended up paying $650 and he swapped the Merc from my accidental donor glasser to the Starcraft, and he paid the sales tax.

Long and short of it, I love this boat. Simple. Big. Easy to work on.

I?ll continue the saga in future posts.

Oh yeah, some pics?

We'll, they'll come later, or as an edit. The way I've linked Photobucket pics to another forum produces huge pics. My files are too bit to attach. It's stuff like this that should be so simple and proves to be such a PITA that makes me lose my religion. I'll regroup and get them up.

Here are the five pics this system will let me post at once. I'll add more in a later poat.

Attachments

• P1010549.JPG
    P1010549.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_1628.JPG
    DSC_1628.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_8430.JPG
    DSC_8430.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010534.JPG
    P1010534.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010579.JPG
    P1010579.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: Barber's 1977 Starcraft SS 18

Welcome aboard, glad to hear you came to your senses about glassers:D

Photobucket has an option to auto resize to 640x800 or whatever size is good.

Sounds like a nice SS and you already have a motor so you are well on your way:)

That 70hp might be a little underpowered, but should still plane the boat out just fine and hit 25mph+

gfbiii51

Petty Officer 2nd Class

More pics:

Sorry they are jumbled. They (in this post and my original) include one pic of my Thompson wood lapstrake, two of the glass donor and the rest are the Starcraft.

Attachments

• DSC_8415.JPG
    DSC_8415.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010580.JPG
    P1010580.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 0

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Welcome! And nice SS. That 70 will push it fine. There isn't an easier boat to own or restore.

gfbiii51

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sad my third post is a rant.

I used to think I was a halfway intelligent person, at least until I tried to post pictures on this forum. I take pictures in high resolution. It seems I either have to shrink the resolution (file size) on my computer (like I did above by using Picasa to email pictures to myself and save them in a separate folder to upload) or upload the pics to Photobucket and/or Picasa and shrink them there (and when I tried and the result still filled the entire screen in thread preview even when reduced to 320 x 214). Is there any rational way to share a full resolution picture without having to manipulate it several times?

I'd rather spend the three hours I've screwed with this on the lake or working on my boat. There is somethging wrong when there are at least five separate threads I've found on how to post pictures. Doesn't that suggest the picture posting process is a barrier to participation to prople not will to abuse themselves long enough to figure it out?

OK. Enough. I'm stubborn and pig-headed enough to keep trying. I splased my boat Wednesday and will share that eventually when my blood pressure returns to a more moderate level.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Photobucket is the easiest way. When you're doing your uploading, there's a link somewhere for "Customize your upload options". In there you can set it to 640x480 (the forum preferred size). It will resize them as you upload them which saves a TON of time. It will also remember that setting so you don't have to set it every time you upload pictures.

Once your pictures are on photobucket, use the IMG code links to paste in here. It's quite easy once you're set up.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

OK, you guys are a bad influence, enablers.

Where? Who? What? Us? Really?:rolleyes:

LOVE your new rig man, she looks sweet!:)

Yah, glassers are:facepalm:

Just don't tell the glasser guys I said so:D

gfbiii51

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Splash day.

All hooked up and ready for the 1/4 mile drive to the loading ramp. That's right, 0.25 mile -- 1,300 feet or so.

P1010581.jpg

One happy Starcraft owner ready to launch:

P1010583.jpg

The admiral in control:

P1010584.jpg

One very happy 60-year old boy:

P1010587.jpg

Making a wake:

P1010588.jpg

It was great. I was like a kid at Christmas...couldn't wipe the smile off my face. It ran great. Come to find out, the motor was file all along. I just didn't know how to start a Merc. Once I got an owner's manusl, I saw my error. It ran great after it got warmed up. I brought my GPS and saw something like 27-28 mph before I put it up. Then I remembered I had trim. Duh. I'd never tried thet before. Huge difference. I forgot to check the GPSafter I trimmed but speed had to improve, I could hear the extra rpm's and reduced strain on the motor when trimmed. I must really be getting old. I'm not after speed any more. 25 or 30 is great. It just jumps out of the water.

The admiral and I cruised to downtown Knoxville. I had to balance a race with weather and fuel consumption on the way back but all was fine.

What's this Starmada thing and how do you join? Does that make you subject to the angry mob?

gfbiii51

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Worked great. Thanks.

This is in response to EZ's advice on picture posting.

I'm still in the learning curve on how this forum posts stuff.

Last edited:

gfbiii51

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I like the blue one on the left..

I'll make you a deal on it. That's the rotten donor boat. Sad, it it's cool, good looking boat. I just don't think I have it in me to do all that fiberglass work. And the neighbors may make the Starmada angry mob look tame if I keep it here.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Wow, super awesome:D:D:D

Starcraft in the water:):):)

KellyC

Senior Chief Petty Officer

What's this Starmada thing and how do you join? Does that make you subject to the angry mob?

Welcome to the Starmada gfbiii51 and yes you are still subject to the angry mob. But only if you do a resto or talk about it and not show us any pics. You are also welcome to join the angry mob as well, we do on expeditions once in a while:D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

First year dues are on the house for glass to tin converts;):D

gfbiii51

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When I had the wood boat, transom support on the trailer was critical to avoid some nasty handling issues. Seems like it is with glassers, too. I believe my rig, including the trailer, is pretty original. The trailer is a Little Dude with roller bunks. The bunks are 48" long and support the boat about 6" in from the side. There are 5 rollers down the center. Couple of questions:

1) The roller bunks stop about 4" from the end of the transom. Do I need to move the winch pole forward to have the last roller under the transom?

P1010597.jpg

2) The last roller is about 11" from the transom. I'm less concerned about it but would appreciate your thoughts.

P1010595.jpg

One reason I believe the boat is original is the little white "things" that drain out of the bilge. Very similay to what everyone curses when they remove foam.

And then today, this candy wrapper stopped up the drain and I got it out.

P1010596.jpg

And, yes, those are original Starcraft green seats on the ground behind the boat. I'll address that is a later post.

Last edited:

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

This could have been the ON THE WATER BY JULY 4th thread
Looks great!
I seriously dont like the donor boat..lol

Welcome to the insanity!

gfbiii51

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Final voyage of the unintended donor boat...

I originally intended to try to sell this glasser as a project to try to recover some of the good money I paid for it. It was bought to be THE boat. Unfortunately, I discovered this forum after I bought it. What I learned was where to look for problems and I found I had most of them. After I continued tio find weaknesses in the boat, I decided to strip it and dispose of the hull. Today it made its final voyage to Solid Waste Disposal. I had to pay $12.60 to get rid of it. It weighed 720 pounds so I believe it had several hundred pounds of wet poured in foam. At last, its gone. Maybe I can begin to forgive myself for being so stupid.

I'll hang on to the trailer for a while. Even though it's too small (16' vs 18'), I think I can store the Starcraft on it while I rework the Little Dude trailer original to it.

P1010612.jpg

P1010604-1.jpg

Onward and upward.

Gun Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sure looks good in the water. As for the trailer. The boat is sitting quite a bit back on the trailer. For good support, ease in launching, and appropriate transom tie down the whole set up needs to be moved forward. Move the winch post forward to align the transom with the rear cross member of the trailer. I'd move your rollers in an inch from the transom. When you put on the transom ties they should be fairly vertical. If they are angled to the rear they will launch the boat forward if you have to make a quick stop. The bow stop should be above the eye.

I still need to get mine a littler further up on the trailer.

Attachments

• starcraft web photos 005.JPG
    starcraft web photos 005.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 1