Trouble replacing grease fitting (video)

Florida

Seaman
This is a lawn mower spindle; with a pressed in grease fitting. the old one got stuck in the coupler and pulled free from the aluminum spindle. I dont know how to press the new one in without deforming it. I dont want to remove the spindle from the deck because there is a high chance of twisting the heads off of the bolts that fasten the spindle to the deck. Any ideas on how to do this?
thanks for the help!

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Trouble replacing grease fitting (video)

Looks like there is a rim around the middle of the fitting? Find a socket that fits that rim and hammer it in. There is a tool for those fittings.

Florida

Seaman

I broke the fitting! I called Napa, Sears, Advanced Auto and Tractor supply; no one I spoke to has ever eard of a grease fitting driver tool for pressed in fittings. I found a small socket that fit over against the shoulder of the grease fitting and started hammering. The shoulders on the grease fitting deformed and the grease fitting wedged inside the socket. :facepalm:

woosterken

Lieutenant

could you drill it out,use a tap to thread the hole and put a bigger zerk in it?

woosterken

partskenn

Petty Officer 1st Class

could you drill it out,use a tap to thread the hole and put a bigger zerk in it?

woosterken

I agree, first thing that comes to mind is to run a tap through it, and thread the hole. Then just screw a new one in.

robert graham

Admiral

If all else fails, use some JB Weld to hold it in place. Clean it real good with a wire brush and carb cleaner first.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

There are larger fittings and I would tap the hole and install a larger base fitting

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A quick internet search and you will find lots of sources for the tool.

j_martin

Admiral

It's a lawn mower deck spindle. They go to heck all the time and odds are there is one on the shelf at a reasonable price at the local co-op or lawn mower shop.

Twist off the bolts, throw in a new spindle with new bolts, get the lawn mowed, and quit wasting valuable boating time.