Very Tight Steering

barticus73

Cadet
I am a brand new boat owner of a 1996 Quantum Fish & Ski with a Mercury 150hp Outboard of the same year. Took it for a test run yesterday and the steering is very very tight. It will turn completely in both directions but I needed to really grunt on the steering wheel. I feel kinda dumb, but where do I need to start to get this freed up? I attached pics of the setup. I really appreciate any help in advance.

Attachments

• 2011-07-07 20.16.15.jpg
    2011-07-07 20.16.15.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 2011-07-07 20.15.16.jpg
    2011-07-07 20.15.16.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 2011-07-07 20.16.10.jpg
    2011-07-07 20.16.10.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 2011-07-07 20.17.52.jpg
    2011-07-07 20.17.52.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 2011-07-07 20.18.19.jpg
    2011-07-07 20.18.19.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 0

j_martin

Admiral
Re: Very Tight Steering

I bought a tracker with that same problem. It had been hard for so long that the OP had a brace made up so the helm wouldn't tear the console off.

To start with, that's an original Morse-Teleflex dual rack system. The cables are independent assemblies. The part number and length is on the cable sheath within 2 feet of the engine.

Disconnect the link between the cable ends and the engine tiller arm. See if the engine or the cables are where the bind is.

If it's the cables, look quick at the last bend for a ruptured cable. If not, crawl under the console and disconnect the cables, one at a time from the helm. Take a 7/16" end wrench with you. It's 4 bolts from the top on each.

I'll bet 2 things.
1. The front cable will be jammed.
2. It's obsolete. You'll have a dickens of a time finding one.

This is a serial thread. Come back for more info and maybe even an escape.:D

barticus73

Cadet

Thanks for the response Mr. Martin. I have some additional questions I added on the pictures themselves. Once again, any help is much appriciated. I sure hope I didn't screw up buying a boat with an obsolete steering system......

Attachments

• Underwheel-1.JPG
    Underwheel-1.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Steering Wheel-1.JPG
    Steering Wheel-1.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Motor-1.JPG
    Motor-1.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 0

barticus73

Cadet

Also as an FYI, the boat sat unsued in the guy's shed covered up for the last three years. I know most everything on this boat looks like new as it was never really used much (Guy had a summer home on opposite side of the country he visted a few times a year) so the cables hopefully will look ok, I will check when I get home from work. Could it be hardened lube/grease? It will turn fully from left to right, just very stiff doing it. I guess I'll know better after checking the advice above.

Thanks

j_martin

Admiral

You'd be hard put to buy a boat of that vintage without an obsolete steering system.

To answer your questions.
1. Yes
2. Steering friction. Stiffens up the steering. I forgot there was this on the old system. The new one uses clutches so effort is low, but the engine will not overpower the steering.
3. Yes. Actually, the bolt at the other end of this connecting rod is the most critical piece in the system, safety wise. It'd be good to take that off also just for inspection and lubrication.

'nother question. Is there a grease zerk on the front tube? Don't grease it, just answer the question.

barticus73

Cadet

'nother question. Is there a grease zerk on the front tube? Don't grease it, just answer the question.

Not trying to sound stupid, but which part is the "FRONT Tube'? Is this the vertical tube the motor rotates on? If so, yes there are zerk's there. Actually, there is a good bit of grease coming out the top of this tube fyi.

j_martin

Admiral

I'm sorry, I forgot this is a boat. The forward tube. (when the engine is in normal operating position)

I'm talking about the steering tubes on the engine. One is also the pivot for tilt. The other bolts onto the front of the engine.

j_martin

Admiral

Also as an FYI, the boat sat unsued in the guy's shed covered up for the last three years. I know most everything on this boat looks like new as it was never really used much (Guy had a summer home on opposite side of the country he visted a few times a year) so the cables hopefully will look ok, I will check when I get home from work. Could it be hardened lube/grease? It will turn fully from left to right, just very stiff doing it. I guess I'll know better after checking the advice above.

Thanks

I think I know what's wrong. Answer the questions and we'll get to a solution quickly.

barticus73

Cadet

Thanks....I'm at work now, but hopefully will get out of here sooner than later to check what you advised. What do you think might be the possible solutions?

j_martin

Admiral

I'm an analyst. I don't jump to conclusions, even if I have a pretty good idea where's it's leading.

I'll check back from time to time today.

barticus73

Cadet

Took the arm off between motor are tubes.....motor moves extremely easy side to side......steering wheel still tight. I loosened the nuts for the cable at the tubes in front of the motor and am able to pull the cables out of the tubes about 6 inches before running out of room. They are covered in what looks like a grease type substance. Where do I go from here?

Edit.....I pulled the racks under the steering wheel and the one connected to the forward tube turns easier than the aft one but still not two finger easy. I guess I'm to the point of having to replace them. Any idea how long it takes to get a set in if ordered through this website? Also, it looks like I will need to lift the outboard for access....any idea what the estimated weight is o for this 1996 150hp 150L model? Are the dealers the place to get the lifting lug? Or do they sell them online?

Thanks

j_martin

Admiral

Took the arm off between motor are tubes.....motor moves extremely easy side to side......steering wheel still tight. I loosened the nuts for the cable at the tubes in front of the motor and am able to pull the cables out of the tubes about 6 inches before running out of room. They are covered in what looks like a grease type substance. Where do I go from here?

Edit.....I pulled the racks under the steering wheel and the one connected to the forward tube turns easier than the aft one but still not two finger easy. I guess I'm to the point of having to replace them. Any idea how long it takes to get a set in if ordered through this website? Also, it looks like I will need to lift the outboard for access....any idea what the estimated weight is o for this 1996 150hp 150L model? Are the dealers the place to get the lifting lug? Or do they sell them online?

Thanks

Bad news first. You aren't going to be able to buy those cables. They are no longer made. You would have to replace the entire steering system.

Good news. If the aft cable sheath is not ruptured, you can probably clean and lubricate the cables in the boat. You will have to swing the engine to get the cables out to work on them either way. Lift the engine with any available sky hook and a lifting eye that screws into the flywheel bore. You can get them on eBay, usually as a combination flywheel puller/lifting jig. Just be sure it's hardened and uses a fine thread bolt, and it will serve you well in both capacities. The engine weighs around 350 lbs.

This went exactly where I thought it would. A bunch of us on Scream and fly went after the problem and came up with several tools, all designed to force a cleaner through the cable with compressed air, and then a lubricating oil. They are lubricated with a high quality light oil, (I use 5w30 full synthetic motor oil) The usual contaminant that seizes them is ordinary grease that is used excessively in the steering rod tube. If there's a grease zerk on the front tube, throw it away.

here's a clip from the discussion at S&F
Dang, the tilt/steering tube I bought is bent, discovered about 2 hours after the boat shop closed.

I found that the threads on a 3/4 in flare fitting I had in the junk bin are exactly the same as the tilt tube, 7/8" NF. Then the light came on. I drilled out the bore of the fitting to 5/8 inch. Then went at the front of it with a step drill to clean up the end, and chamfer it slightly. That gave me a brass edge that seats against the cable end flange oil tight with no goo of any kind. To that flare fitting, I added a 3/4 fpt to sweat adapter, a length of 3/4 in copper tube, and a 3/4 sweat to 1/2 fpt adapter. I screwed an air zerk into a 1/2 x 1/4 in bushing.

I fit this contraption over the rod of the cable, threaded on the cable connection. Tilted it up and filled it with about 6 oz of SeaFoam, screwed in the bushing, snapped on the air hose, which was hung over the overhead rail, keeping the cable tilted upward. I ran 3 passes of SeaFoam through each cable. One was rusty, and the other took about 1 1/2 hours for the first pass, as it was full of black goo. Oiled em up with 5W30 Wally World full synthetic, detailed the rack with a rag and greased it up with WW marine grease, assembled it, and it's like new.

assembly.jpg

Flare.jpg

Bushing.jpg

Here's the link to S&F discussion on the topic.

http://www.screamandfly.com/showthread.php?188864-Steering-Cable-Lube

hope it helps
John

barticus73

Cadet

So I think I am going to bite the bullet and order a new cable kit rather than play with the current stiff one. The only dual rack system I am finding is Teleflex NFB like sold here:http://www.blackbearsportinggoods.com/Cbl_Dual_Rck_Pkg_13_p/ellteless15213.htm, I just need to get the correct length. Are there other brands out there or is this the way to go?

I also need to move the motor to do this so I found this:http://www.amazon.com/Mercury-Mariner-Flywheel-Puller-Lifting/dp/B002L2HNDW

Am I missing anything else?

j_martin

Admiral

Your present cables have a part number and length on them near the engine end. The Teleflex NFB system is outstanding. That's what is in my boat and I love it. That's also an amazing price for the system.

The puller/lifting eye is good. I think that's the brand I bought.

When you pull the old cables out, tie strong pull strings to them. Then use the strings to pull the new ones in.

My original steering was damage by the sharp bends to deal with a jack plate. I put 2 new holes in my hull for the new cables to open up the radius of the last bend. Makes all the difference in the world for steering effort and longevity.

barticus73

Cadet

I was able to pull the forward cable completely out of the boat and it was labeled" Teleflex SSC12415" so I am assuming I need a 15 foot replacement dual Rack & Pinion system. Looks like this is the best price so far online I have found for the NFB version: http://www.blackbearsportinggoods.com/Cbl_Dual_Rck_Pkg_15_p/ellteless15215.htm.

Also, I have to lift the motor, what is the recommended sealer for the mounting holes through the transom, just any marine silicone type product?

j_martin

Admiral

Looks like I was wrong about NLA. I tried to buy some 4 years ago and couldn't get any. Looks like they are back on the market.

Your original steering is straight rack with friction hold, 2 turns lock to lock. NFB is clutch hold and 4 turns lock to lock. One has high steering effort and positive feel and the other has low steering effort and no feedback.

Silly Cone for sealant on transom holes is the reason most 20 year old boats have rotten transoms. Use 3M marine sealant 4200.

barticus73

Cadet

Well, got the new drive kit in and it wasn't too bad to install really. Had to lift the motor for the aft cable. Used a tractor with a front end loader and went fairly well, Sealed the bolts back up with 4200 sealant and tested her out today. Nice and smooth....like a brand new boat! Thanks for all the help!!!