input on 1997 2100 lsr

chcameroz28

Cadet
i haven't thought of regal before but going to see one tomorrow in austin texas, i have been looking for a ski boat for quite awhile,,my research on regal has been positive. The guy is selling this boat for $7000 and seems reasonable, going for test run tomorrow,,what should i be looking for?? talked to him and maintenance seems good,don't know much about it other than it has 5.7. Pics look nice. Is this a fresh water boat or more a salt water boat? anyway thanks for any input. One more question, it looks like it would be hard to get out of the water climbing the little ladder in the back. I am hoping that it works out because they seem like nice boats and i like that fast trac design. I want to get out on the water !!! my son is 21 years and he's about to leave the nest and i think a boat would be a good way to keep in touch

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Re: input on 1997 2100 lsr

That will be a very fast bowrider with a 5.7. The OEM ladder works fine for getting back on board from deep water. The weak points on those are the ski locker, the window trim and the fake wood trim in the interior (especially the helm).

The ski lockers on those were built with little to no glass, just resin and gelcoat over plywood that covers foam. Pull up the carpet and look for cracks in the gelcoat. If there are cracks, the plywood is probably wet and so is the foam under it. If the wood is still in good shape, you can bore two 3" holes in it (one at the front and one at the back) and all the way through the foam to the boat's keel, and suck the water out with a shop vac. The extra hole will allow dry air to replace the moist air/water coming out. A hair dryer blowing into one hole while the vac draws air out speeds the process. Once it's dry (took several hours of vacumming, on and off over a three day period, for mine) you can plug the holes and glass the ski locker properly, then paint it.

The window and fake wood trim parts are no longer made by Regal. If they are broken or sun damaged, there's not much you can do. If the fake wood is still in good shape, do what you can to keep it out of the sun. My 2000 2550 LSC has similar fake wood trim and it's in perfect shape because I keep it covered with towels at anchor and use my mooring cover at all times the boat is not in use.

If you boat on big water, be aware that those 2100s have very little freeboard and can take water over the bow pretty easily. I would not call it a salt water boat.

ryanr623

Chief Petty Officer

Regal's are always in the JD Power top 2 in quality, reliability and design. They are the top tier boat next to cobalt. You won't be disappointed.

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Agreed, Regal's are good boats, and the LSR hulls are just plain purdy! Bear in mind, it's not an off shore boat, but if you primary purpose is skiing and some fun in the sun, I would think it would do nicely.

americaneagler77

Petty Officer 1st Class

nice rig and appears to be priced right. if shes a good runner and the floor is solid, interior is in fair shape id go for it....very good hull design for running lakes. as for the water coming over the bow, we run a 15 and 20 foot bowrider on lakes that get up to 4 feet in a blink of an eye. we dont get wet, its all in the captain. you have to try to make the 20 take a dive in the water, and i mean TRY. dont let that scare ya.

chcameroz28

Cadet

Sounds like a nice deal. '97 is plenty old enough to have rot though so check it carefully. This is what you want to avoid: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=494338

so when i go to look at boat how and where can i look to see if there is rot? I never had a boat before ,,somoeone said there was foam under the ski lockers but i didn't see any foam in the pictures,,I was suprised how nice a boat can look interior and exterior but but be totally rotted under the floor boards,,

chcameroz28

Cadet

That will be a very fast bowrider with a 5.7. The OEM ladder works fine for getting back on board from deep water. The weak points on those are the ski locker, the window trim and the fake wood trim in the interior (especially the helm).

The ski lockers on those were built with little to no glass, just resin and gelcoat over plywood that covers foam. Pull up the carpet and look for cracks in the gelcoat. If there are cracks, the plywood is probably wet and so is the foam under it. If the wood is still in good shape, you can bore two 3" holes in it (one at the front and one at the back) and all the way through the foam to the boat's keel, and suck the water out with a shop vac. The extra hole will allow dry air to replace the moist air/water coming out. A hair dryer blowing into one hole while the vac draws air out speeds the process. Once it's dry (took several hours of vacumming, on and off over a three day period, for mine) you can plug the holes and glass the ski locker properly, then paint it.

The window and fake wood trim parts are no longer made by Regal. If they are broken or sun damaged, there's not much you can do. If the fake wood is still in good shape, do what you can to keep it out of the sun. My 2000 2550 LSC has similar fake wood trim and it's in perfect shape because I keep it covered with towels at anchor and use my mooring cover at all times the boat is not in use.

If you boat on big water, be aware that those 2100s have very little freeboard and can take water over the bow pretty easily. I would not call it a salt water boat.

*****so are these ski lockers in the front or rear of the boat? and the i take it the gel coat is like a varnish type material,,? these crack are just surface cracks or go all the way thru whole thickness of the wood?

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

The ski locker is in the center of the boat, between the front seats. The cracks are only in the gelcoat, not the plywood. Gel coat is more like paint than varnish. It's on the outside of the fiberglass hull and is what gives a boat its color, typically (some are painted).