Stingray 185LX still porpoising after Smart Tab install

viperbluelx

Cadet
I have an 05 185LX and like most Stingrays if I trim it up any it starts porpoising. The general consensus was that installing Smart Tabs would cure most if not all of it. Well I installed them last week and put the setting on the middle hole which is the recommended starting point. I took the boat out and while it gets on plane pretty quick now it porpoises pretty bad still. The only time it doesn't seem to do it is in perfectly smooth water at WOT. I've moved the anchor and my battery jump pack to the bow. Should I get some sand bags or something to put in the bow to weight the front of the boat down more?

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: Stingray 185LX still porpoising after Smart Tab install

Don't start adding additional weight. That will diminish your load capacity and change the handling characteristics of the boat. Either redistribute the weight that's currently in the boat or adjust your tabs down a bit more or don't trim up the engine quite so much. Smart tabs are a bit helpful, but it's hard to beat hydraulic trim tabs. Extremely adjustable to weight load, distribution, water conditions, etc.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, agree with Fireman. Move heavier stuff forward and light stuff aft. Keep swapping and you'll get her right.

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You also should pull the boat out and give the hull a good check. You could have a hook in the hull, causing the ill handling. If you do, no smart tabs or redistributing of weight will cure it. If you are unsure what to look for, check back here or have a marine surveyor look at it. Could be money well spent if they find somehting and prevent you from throwing more money at it.

americaneagler77

Petty Officer 1st Class

dont trim up so much. or throw a passenger or 2 in the bow