jack plate and motor heigth

thenextone

Recruit
i have a 110 hp evinrude on a 17ft nitro fish/ski and. takes a while to plane out is there a certain heigth the motor should be on the jackplate. and how long should it take to plane out. right now it seems to be about 10 seconds

ryguy1101

Seaman
Re: jack plate and motor heigth

Could be a ton of issues other than just motor height. How long have you had the boat, and has it run properly before or since any recent adjustments?

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

make sure you are trimmed in as far as you can...that should help get on plane faster...make sure the motor is deep enough to get a great bite.......

the jack plate usually just helpt tunning on top end and allowing shallow water use....

too much weight in the back hurts as well...which the extra weight of the jack plate and the fact it is hanging off the back of the transon another 4-10"( dont know your setback) hurts your effort to get on plane fast

might not have enough HP either...or the motor isnt running as good as it could

is your battery and gas in the back of the boat?

bob

trdan

Recruit

Hi, what prop pitch are you running? As an example, my old Fabuglas 17 foot trihull with an 85 Evinrude jumps on plane and the battery and 12 gal tank are in the very back. I'm running a 17 inch pitch alum prop and the anti vent plate is even with the bottom of the hull. How heavy is your boat? How about load distribution?
Dan