Constant beeping alarm on 95' MERCURY Black max.

ProCraft17

Cadet
at idle everything is running fine including waterpump. After about 2 mins on plane constant beeping allarm sounds. I turned it off for 3 mins and when it comes on no alarm. I mix my own oil at the recommended 50:1 ratio .

Any ideas how to trouble shoot this?
Thanks

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: Constant beeping alarm on 95' MERCURY Black max.

Is it a solid tone or a rapid beeping?

Solid tone is a cooling problem that could be a number of things, leaking head gasket can displace cooling flow and cause a rapid overheat seem to cool fine at low throttle positions.

Check compression on each cyl to see if there is a slightly lower reading on one cyl.

Pre-mixing fuel? Has the oil alarm been removed/disconnected? Most likely you are getting a solid tone heat alarm, not a rapid beeping.

ProCraft17

Cadet

yes it is a constant sound.

how do i go about checking the compression?

ProCraft17

Cadet

What sensors/ plugs do i need to locate and clean also.

Im trying to take it out monday and would love to have it running.
any help?

JohnQ-FWB

Seaman

Same thing on my 1995 Black Max. Started & Ran fine at idle, no problem slow motoring away from the dock. Got it up on plane for about a quarter mile & it start the solid screaming. Shut it down, raise the motor and checked for kelp (happened before), no kelp. Put motor down, restarted fine, slow motored fine, up on plane after a short time, solid alarm again. No Nooky (Chinook) this weekend & expensive shop on Monday.

j_martin

Admiral

Quite simply, it's overheating, or the overtemp switch is defective. You have to determine which and fix it.

JohnQ-FWB

Seaman

Same thing on my 1995 Black Max. Started & Ran fine at idle, no problem slow motoring away from the dock. Got it up on plane for about a quarter mile & it start the solid screaming. Shut it down, raise the motor and checked for kelp (happened before), no kelp. Put motor down, restarted fine, slow motored fine, up on plane after a short time, solid alarm again. No Nooky (Chinook) this weekend & expensive shop on Monday.

The impeller was getting old and spun on the hub. Low engine rpm it would pump, but as rpm rose, the impeller would not pump worth a darn. Picking up fixed boat this morning.

JanetM

Recruit

Had a similar problem with a '97 Mercury Bigfoot. After several things that didn't work we flushed the cooling system (water intake) and it did the trick......good luck!