115 johnson stalling out.please help!!!

borz80

Seaman Apprentice
I just put better reeds in it and had it in the water for the first time over the weekend. It ran really well at high speed. it would rev up real well but when i came off plane it would sputter and stall out. then it would take time for it to fire up again. I had to keep starting it and revving it get it it to finally plane out again. I took carbs apart and cleaned them very well. emptied gas tank and out freshh gas in it and some sea foam b/c i thought it was the low speed jets.so i put it back in there and the same problem is happening. it will rev real good but is not running well at low speed. i changed the plugs and checked spark, cleaned carbs again and they werent dirty.i dont know what to do now. any ideas??????

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: 115 johnson stalling out.please help!!!

I just put better reeds in it and had it in the water for the first time over the weekend. It ran really well at high speed. it would rev up real well but when i came off plane it would sputter and stall out. then it would take time for it to fire up again. I had to keep starting it and revving it get it it to finally plane out again. I took carbs apart and cleaned them very well. emptied gas tank and out freshh gas in it and some sea foam b/c i thought it was the low speed jets.so i put it back in there and the same problem is happening. it will rev real good but is not running well at low speed. i changed the plugs and checked spark, cleaned carbs again and they werent dirty.i dont know what to do now. any ideas??????

Did this happen only after the new reeds ???

borz80

Seaman Apprentice

no i havent run this motor in years.i took the reeds off of my 85 hp of the same yr..they are the right part, before when it had bad reeds it didnt run good at all no matter what speed

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

no i havent run this motor in years.i took the reeds off of my 85 hp of the same yr..they are the right part, before when it had bad reeds it didnt run good at all no matter what speed

And you know that these reeds are better ???
And the part number matches for both motors ??

borz80

Seaman Apprentice

yes the reeds came off a very good running 85 and i matched the numbers. i wanted to get the 115 running because its obviously a lot stronger/faster. This motor revs up well and when it planed out it was running great. its just low speed...i dont know what it is

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Did you clean the carbs or give them a rebuild with new kits ???

borz80

Seaman Apprentice

Rebuilt them and cleaned them several times I don't know what else to do

SparkieBoat

Captain

follow the steps in my sig below..also you may have a fuel pump issue.

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer

Just curious. When you rebuilt the carbs, did you adjust the float levels correctly? What about the condition of the floats?

borz80

Seaman Apprentice

I did adjust one because it wasnt sitting level.but i took these out of the 85 carb and it ran fine in there. theyre the same part too. could a bad fuel pump cause it to run bad at idle but good at low speed?

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer

When you are coming off high speed to idle, what does the fuel line bulb feel like? Could be a stupid question, but are you sure the fuel tank is vented properly?

It still sounds like a carb problem to me. When you cleaned the carbs, did you remove the welch plugs and clean the jets and ports under them? A new inexpensive carb kit would have new welch plugs in it.

borz80

Seaman Apprentice

i thought the same thing about the bulb but it stayed pretty firm. and the tanks are fine because ive run them for 5 yrs with the 85hp on the boat. I think its carbs too. i mean what else could it be? its just driving me insane that i cant figure it out. I thought i cleaned them pretty thoroughly. Could it be a fuel pump? b/c in my experience if a pump is bad it would run right at all? idk though