I want to go fast

Bassboy81

Cadet
I have a Johnson 1964 FD-18e that runs pretty good. I replace the plugs and cleaned the carb, but I still feel like it should go faster. Any suggestions on what I should? Also, i have broken 3 shear pins this weekend and it feels like the just break if the hit a little stick. Any suggestions on why this is happening?

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: I want to go fast

I have a Johnson 1964 FD-18e that runs pretty good. I replace the plugs and cleaned the carb, but I still feel like it should go faster. Any suggestions on what I should? Also, i have broken 3 shear pins this weekend and it feels like the just break if the hit a little stick. Any suggestions on why this is happening?

Lower unit slipping could be the culprit of breaking shear pins, that is if you are using the correct shear pins to replace with ??
You need to tell us your entire set up and what you are achieving to get the best input on wanting to go faster.

Bassboy81

Cadet

I know I have the correct Shear Pins. My set up is a 15ft lund fiberglass trihull. I have a couple seats a small fishing deck on the front. The motor goes pretty good, i am guessing about 10 mph and is able to get up on a plane. I feel like it is holding back a little bit. I am just trying to get it running at a 100% and maybe add a few mph

BonairII

Commander

Have you checked your speed by GPS yet? Assuming your motor is running correctly...You'll need to buy/borrow a tach to see if you're reaching optimum rpm for your motor. If not, you might have/want to change your prop.

Worse case scenario, you could always ask other boaters around you to slow down a bit so it'll seem like you're going faster. :D

Bassboy81

Cadet

Ill be honest I dont know too much about boats and I am not even sure I have the correct prop on the motor. It was there when i bought it and it does run. What kind of prop should I look at and would it make it faster?

Bassboy81

Cadet

Jim,
Your saying the prop hub is slipping? Is this something that is easy to replace? Also how would i check to be sure its slipping?

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Could indeed be the prop hub as stated. Could also be the lower unit gearing slipping and then re-applying full force. Either way you should be looking at the lower end of the motor. Do the shear pins fit nice and snug ???

kfa4303

Banned

In addition to the above stated lower unit issues, which may also include a worn clutch dog as a possible culprit, when is the last time your motor had a good old fashion tune up including: points and condensers, s'plugs and s'plug wires, carb kit and waterpump? Those are all parts that can and do wear out over time. They're easy to replace and can make a big difference in performance. Lots of threads on how to go about changing them out here in the forums.