Stream still weak on 72 1150 after impeller change...SOLVED!

bunker108

Chief Petty Officer
I replaced the impeller this morning. It was a realatively easy job. I also replace the upper pump housing because the housing looked like it got a little hot and had some groves in it. It all went back together easily and I got her refired...but the stream still seems weak running on earmuffs.

There is a void area right above the impeller. Does a seal go there? The kit came with the seal that sits on the housing around the shaft that looks like it could also fit in the housing around the shaft too. Make sense?

Any ideas or reason to be concerned? Thanks!

Oh and I almost forgot that the water tubed lined up easily...

bunker108

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Stream still weak on 72 1150 after impeller change

So I have water exiting the prop and throught the vents on th erear of the lower unit...just a weak stream. I guess I will just try to flush out the stream hole and go from there...

PLHamp

Recruit

Did you let it warm up until the thermostat(s) opened all the way? Check for a spider nest in the pisser hole. Get some flexible insulated wire and run it up the hole as far asit will go. Also check the thermostat(s). When they get crusty and old they can restrict flow. Also there should be a seal on the upper housing, look at the manual photos.

Pat

bunker108

Chief Petty Officer

I was not aware there were any t-stats on the old mercury. So I guess that i am not sure if it was warmed up enough. Is there anynway to check water circulation without dropping the lower unit again? Is there and way to verify a strong impeller other than the tell tale?

I will probably just drop it back down and have a look.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

There are no thermostats on that motor. There are no seals above impeller, inside water pump cover.

Did you replace the wearplate and both gaskets as well as impeller? There is a thick rubber washer that goes on driveshaft and is pushed down to contact exterior of waterpump cover.

bunker108

Chief Petty Officer

Yes I replaced the lower "full" gasket, the wearplate, and top gasket as well as the thick rubber washer on top of the housing and the impeller. I am about to go outside and drop it again and try to verify if anything is blocking the flow resulting in the weak stream.

bunker108

Chief Petty Officer

I dropped the lower unit again and inspected the waterpump housing and impeller. Everything looked good. I wiped everything down, greased what needed to be and set the lower unit to the side.

Then I taped a water tube to the hose and flushed out the upper unit the best I could. I also cleaned some dead beetles out of the top area of the lower unit. I put it all back together and hope for the best.

Whatever I did worked. So I am guessing that the tell tale tube was blocked up with something.

Thanks everyone!

She is running great off the throttle cable. Dist. advances properly and carbs open synchronized when I manually manipulate the throttle arm. But I am not getting the "range" I need with the cable connected. Forward engages about where it should but will not take carbs to WOT. Reverse engages very low though. I guess I need to start another thread...