Help me compare two new pontoons

tx_saluki

Recruit
Hello all. New to the forum and to boat ownership. I have read a lot of the posts in this forum and have learned a lot. This has allowed me to narrow my boat search down to a couple of models for now. One entry level with some good add ons, and one top of the line manufacturer but stock (no adds). Planned use is to fish, cruise, and tube. No skiing planned, maybe a little wake or knee boarding at most (though this is not as likely). Using boat in highland lakes in TX, which is LBJ, Travis, Buchanan. Water can get fairly rough on travis when the big boats are out and it is windy so I am somewhat concerned about this. Normal load of 4, 2 adults, 2 kids, max expected load of 8 adults, sometimes 4 adults 5 kids.

Boat 1 - $22,500
Godfrey Sweetwater 2286DF. 2-23" tubes, 1-25" tube. Aluminum underskinning. Lift strakes. 24" on center crossbeams. 90HP 4stroke. w/ trailer

Boat 2: $30,000
Bennington 22SFI. 2 - 25" tubes, 16" on center crossbeams, 90HP 4stroke. w/ trailer

I am well aware that the bennington is better constructed than the sweetwater, but having the third toon and strakes on the sweetwater should help with sturdiness. So basically I am trying to decide if the third toon and $8k less is better than the high end premium of the benny. Do I really need the build quality of the benny, is it worth the 33% addition in price.

Opinions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

badbird

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Help me compare two new pontoons

Hello all. New to the forum and to boat ownership. I have read a lot of the posts in this forum and have learned a lot. This has allowed me to narrow my boat search down to a couple of models for now. One entry level with some good add ons, and one top of the line manufacturer but stock (no adds). Planned use is to fish, cruise, and tube. No skiing planned, maybe a little wake or knee boarding at most (though this is not as likely). Using boat in highland lakes in TX, which is LBJ, Travis, Buchanan. Water can get fairly rough on travis when the big boats are out and it is windy so I am somewhat concerned about this. Normal load of 4, 2 adults, 2 kids, max expected load of 8 adults, sometimes 4 adults 5 kids.

Boat 1 - $22,500
Godfrey Sweetwater 2286DF. 2-23" tubes, 1-25" tube. Aluminum underskinning. Lift strakes. 24" on center crossbeams. 90HP 4stroke. w/ trailer

Boat 2: $30,000
Bennington 22SFI. 2 - 25" tubes, 16" on center crossbeams, 90HP 4stroke. w/ trailer

I am well aware that the bennington is better constructed than the sweetwater, but having the third toon and strakes on the sweetwater should help with sturdiness. So basically I am trying to decide if the third toon and $8k less is better than the high end premium of the benny. Do I really need the build quality of the benny, is it worth the 33% addition in price.

Opinions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi and welcome

first thing boat #1 has way too small of engine to ever get that boat on lifting strakes in my opinion, the 3rd tube adds weight and drag

second if you plan on keeping this boat for a while build quality is the first thing you should look at

third the Bennington has more than build quality over the Sweetwater
BTW that Bennington price sounds a little steep search around

good luck
Ron