Securing the deck in a 1988 bluefin sportsman

liljig

Recruit
I have a 1988 bluefin sportsman and I'm redoing the inside completely. Any clue on what type of fastener to use on the floor. Oh yea I'm using 3/4 inch plywood.

CIMG0197.jpgCIMG0196.jpgCIMG0195.jpg

I hope my pics come through.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Any one have a clue

hi....welcome to iboats.

i cant really tell form the pics. first off.....this looks like a tinny.

after you glass the underside of the new deck.....run pl9000 over the stringers and place the deck on. then pre drill screw holes, screw in remove screw....fill with 3m sealant..re screw..and re glass.

that is the permanent way.

the short term way cover the deck in what ever you are going to use (natloux or what ever).... pre drill the holes.....then just screw it down. to the stringers.

saumon

Lieutenant

you should use stainless steel screws

geeco1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Many have used pop-rivets to fasten the floor to the stringers, but it may be difficult to find them that long since you are using 3/4 ply. Otherwise, stainless screws as suggested.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

When I redid mine I used some pretty big stainless screws, that was 3 years ago and no problems, unless you want to redo it anytime soon that is your only option, you don't want to use regular or galvanized, they will rust.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Howdy fellow Yorker! I moved this thread to the restoration section. There are a number of Blue Fin projects on this site for you to look at for reference. Also, being an aluminum, it's similar to all the Starcraft restos we have going on and there's TONS of those to check out. Welcome to the forum.

I used regular old deck screws from Lowes/Home Depot to secure the deck in both the aluminum boat projects I've done.