Alabama Senic River Trail

scrit9mm

Chief Petty Officer
Has anyone done this? My uncle and I are in the preliminary planning stages for this trip this fall or next spring. We will have 2 boats, my 20' bowrider and his 21' Donzi. Besides the basic camping equipment and food/drinks, what would you not leave home without for a 4-5 day boat trip. We already have a list going with tools, spare parts to take.

The trip would start in Montgomery and end in the Mobile bay. Here is a website with info. I would like some personal input.
http://www.alabamascenicrivertrail.com/trip-planner/

Thanks!

scrit9mm

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Alabama Senic River Trail

also, the biggest issue is getting the trailer's and trucks down to Mobile to trailer them back. Has anyone hired a trailering service, or does one exist?

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Do you have any type of canvas or a plan for inclement weather? I've done several multi-day boat river trips and it's tough to get 4-5 days in the southeast without some type of precip. The other consideration is fuel planning. Make sure you know the range of your boat with the load you plan to carry and the speed you plan to run. Call and confirm the availability of fuel.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

An Alternative Trip: The Tennessee River is undoubtedly the best inland cruising in the U.S., and the lakes are completely navigable. The mountain scenery of East Tennessee and North Alabama is far more interesting than the flat land river deltas of South Alabama.

TVA and Corps of Engineer campgrounds, private campgrounds, Tennessee State Parks, Alabama State Parks and motels/hotels and restaurants are along the way. Fuel is also readily available. It's an easy, safe and well traveled river route, and every lake is fabulous in its own way.

You can start in Knoxville's Ft. Loudon Lake and lock through Watts Bar Lake, Chickamauga Lake (@ Chattanooga), Nickajack Lake (Jasper), Guntersville Lake (Scottsboro), Wheeler Lake (Decatur), Wilson Lake (Muscle Shoals), Pickwick (Savannah), Kentucky Lake (Paducah, KY). You can start where you wish, and go just as far as you would like to go.

Good luck on your odyssey.