need help asap....please help

fishing dad 2011

Seaman Apprentice
just got a merc 500 50 hp need help with hook ups
I just got a merc. 500 kiekhaefer 50 hp not sure of the year but the serial number is 2627146.
I cannot seem to get the cables hooked up and working right.All of the electrical works those cables were a no brainer but the shift and throttle cable are a mystery to me. How they attach is no problem but attaching them so the motor operates properly is my issue. there are 2 cables I think I figured out wich one is throttle but I am not sure. I have a big lever that seems to put it into gear and a little one that I am not sure of how it works...PLEASE Help I feel like such an idiot.. Edit Post Reply Reply With Quote .
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yesterday 06:51 PM #2 Gomer50
View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message Add as Contact

Petty Officer 1st Class

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts:384 Re: just got a merc 500 50 hp need help with hook ups
The large one engages your forward and reverse gears and your throttle.The smaller one is your cold start lever.It is used for starting your engine it advances your distributor and carbs without engaging into gear. Reply Reply With Quote .
Yesterday 07:57 PM #3 carholme

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Posts:1,201 Re: just got a merc 500 50 hp need help with hook ups
That s/n comes up as:

50 500 4-cyl 2514919 2736806 1969 USA

From here:

http://www.marinshopen.se/Motorer/Om...7/Default.aspx

It is a model:

1500109 MERCURY 1969 50

Parts listing:

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/437.cfm

Here is a condensed version of a service manual. Let the page load for 30/40 secs.

http://web.ebscohost.com/serrc/pdf?s...&vid=4&hid=108

Gerry Reply Reply With Quote .
Yesterday 10:25 PM #4 fishing dad 2011
View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message

Cadet

Posts:21 Re: just got a merc 500 50 hp need help with hook ups
Thanks guys thats all good info. I am gonna mess with it some more tomarrow hopefully I have not messed with it too much and messed it up..
Where the cables hook up in the front does it matter wich one goes where? I know wich part actually shifts so the big lever goes to it I imagine but which one of the front connectors does it hook to? I probably should not have been turning those up and down the treads either because I am positive I have those messed up now.. Will those just take some fine tuning to get right? As far as max throttle position? Man I probably shouldnt even be messing with this stuff even the easy stuff seems hard to me.. Edit Post Reply Reply With Quote .
Yesterday 11:39 PM #5 Paul t 608

Cadet

Posts:8 Re: just got a merc 500 50 hp need help with hook ups
Maybe I can help. Have a friend move the large lever forward. Note which cable moved first. That's the shift cable. As lever is moved forward, that is the throttle cable. With a screwdriver, move the connection for the shift cable to hook to into the neutral position. Move the lever into the neutral position. Now eyeball where the big brass stop should fit, and thread it into position. Move the big lever all the way forward, and advance the throttle hook-up all the way to wide open. Again, thread the big brass stop to fit the extended cable. Hope this helps, hard to put into words. Remember, when shifting, shift quickly into fwd and reverse, do not let the engine "click, click, click" when you shift. Shift positively. Reply Reply With Quote .
Yesterday 11:59 PM #6 fishing dad 2011

Cadet

It is hard to put into words, Look how wordy my explanation was...lol...Cool this sounds pretty cut and dry I will be giving this a try first thing in the morning... Thanks to all who replied especialy thanks to carholme I printed that condensed manual all 27 pages it may just come in handy and the links to crowley marine for parts was helpful too. Edit Post Reply Reply With Quote .
Today 02:47 PM #7 fishing dad 2011

Cadet

Well that sounded easy enough but it didnt work..I just cannot seem to get it to do what is supposed to.. The motor runs excellent without the cables so I know its a matter of getting them just right..GRRRRRRR getting frustrated spent like 3 hours putting cables on and off trying them in different positions and to no avail I just cannot seem to get any throttle out of fwd some ways I get lots of throttle in rev. but cannot get fwd throttle to work.... The local Marine guy wont even work on it because it's "too old"... Heck its a great running 1969 merc. I jusy dont get why something so easy as hooking up the cables has to give me such a hard time...