Help needed to ID Evinrude model

float2

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Friend has what he thinks is a '78 Evinrude 55. Original owners were an older couple who had it a pontoon on a freshwater lake. Trouble is its not getting spark and may need a new amplifier. The OMC part # off the amplifier itself is #389549. When we checked with NAPA inquiring about a new amplifier using the aforementioned part #, they said its listed only for 1968 and 1969 Evinrudes of the following sizes: 55,65, and 85 horsepower, not to mention list price is $319.

I found someone who may have good working used amplifiers but he is asking me for the model # of this engine. The only number I can find is: J09082. Is this the model # or serial#?

If there should be another number on this engine, where exactly would it be located?

archcycle

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Help needed to ID Evinrude model

That is a serial number. They didn't start with the model and year coding system until 1980. Call the manufacturer at 847-689-7090. Open until 4:30 CST. They will look it up for you. I did it the other day it's quite painless.

float2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I found it after all. Its 55873R. This is my first o/b (former i/o owner) I don't know much about this particular engine but once I get a new amplifier it should be running good.

float2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

As the model # indicates this is a 1968 rather than a 1978 model. Its not getting spark and it looks like it needs a new amplifier. They aren't cheap (at least $200). This motor was running as of last fall and still has great compression, carbs are good, etc. Something this old concerns me just from a parts availability standpoint. Anyone else out there with a similar year Evinrude? How do you find parts when needed on something so old. I realize guys are running older motors than this but at some point parts chasing becomes a needle in the proverbial haystack.