Newbie and his 12' Sea Scamp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neeco

Seaman Apprentice
Picked up a small aluminum boat from a guy over the weekend. The paint is peeling REALLY bad, but other than that everything looks in decent shape. I am not sure what model the boat is, but from the brochures it looks just like a 50-60's runabout... Came with an OLD 35HP motor that needs some attention (and sure looks like its from the 60's) and a nice Minn Kota troller, new battery, 2 oars, trailer, and seats. Got him down to 300 bones, which may be a bit much based on some of the other steals I have seen on this forum.

I do not have pictures yet, but am waiting for a budy that is storing it this week for me to send me a couple. In the meantime, this is the closest pic google could find (from my memory at least) as to what it looks like. Mine is smaller I believe though. Again, its in a bit worse shape as well. I am not even sure that the pic is of a starcraft! Hahaha, as I am rather new to the boat owning world. This is my first boat, and it will be perfect for the private lakes and rivers around my neck of the woods! Gonna be a fisher and will maybe see the state lakes for some Walleye.

I guess my main questions are where to start on the resto? I want as close to original as possible but still functionable. I know its not a cool boat like some of your SS's or Holiday's but, hey, its my first one! My 3yr old son is going to go CRAZY when Daddy gets him out on the water in our new boat!

I will take my engine questions to the engine guru's once I figure out what exaclty it is that I have, as I bought it on a whim and had a buddy tow it home over the 4th weekend.

boat2.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Newbie with what I think is a 12' Runabout?

There is no way a 12' is rated for anywhere near 35HP and I don't think you'd be pleased running that around with the bow in the air. 3 year old are useless for ballast :p Maybe it's a 14'? We need some pics man!!

Huron Angler

Admiral

A good place to start would be to clean the interior, check for loose rivets...and then apply Gluvit on all rivets and seams to seal the boat well for leaks.

This is important since you will be taking a young child out, safety first.

After that, some new plywood for the transom and she will be like a new boat.:)

Neeco

Seaman Apprentice

There is no way a 12' is rated for anywhere near 35HP and I don't think you'd be pleased running that around with the bow in the air. 3 year old are useless for ballast :p Maybe it's a 14'? We need some pics man!!

Hahaha, that is exactly what the PO said. He didn't like the 35HP because it was scary fast for such a small boat. He was a big guy too! He said he mostly used the Minn to get around. I plan on rebuilding the motor and probably selling it. But it is SOOOO old man. No tiller, throttle control is a nob on the motor, and it has fast, faster, and idle. :D

From what he says, it all runs and no leaks. So we will see.

Pics will come as soon as I can get em. I am as anxious as you to get some pics and find out what exactly it is I splurged on. The wife said, and I quote, "Why on earth did you buy that ugly thing?" I returned with "To fish of course..."

Neeco

Seaman Apprentice

A good place to start would be to clean the interior, check for loose rivets...and then apply Gluvit on all rivets and seams to seal the boat well for leaks.

This is important since you will be taking a young child out, safety first.

After that, some new plywood for the transom and she will be like a new boat.:)

Is it safe to use a sander to remove the pealing pant? Or should a chemical and putty knife be used? The transom is all aluminum if I remember correctly. I think someone, at some point, welded some sheet in the place of said wood. But I may be mistaken.

First thing is to get it cleaned up, next is to replace the old wooden benches, then water testing/motor testing as I will keep the boat even if the motor is scraped.

What is the best way to test an old motor? Muffs and a hose?

Neeco

Seaman Apprentice

This is the 14' my dad bought 2 years ago. We run it with a 4HP :eek: :D
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ezmobee/DSCF2577.jpg

This 3 year old seems to like it just fine:)
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ezmobee/Fishing/DSCF2705.jpg
(2 1/2 in that photo, he's almost 4 now)

Ha! Cute kiddo! Just bought my boy a transformers pole for the 4th weekend.

Well, I guess it could be a 3.5HP but that's not what it says on the cover(from what is left of it). And I am sure mine is smaller than your 14'er but looks pretty close. Its a bit wider in the stern though... Shoot, it may even be 10' based on your picture. I have 3 bench "spots" and the bow bench is very close to the nose. Probably couldn't sit facing forward...

I should have just towed it home! I would know for sure... Either way I am positive the motor is older than I am (class of '99) so it will still be a fun project.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

sell that 35hp
get a evinrude 6 hp fisherman..
I had one on my 14 foot lonestar tinny and it pushed my fat arse around nicely.

BTW...

There isnt a 3.5hp anything that is SCARY FAST! lol

Neeco

Seaman Apprentice

sell that 35hp
get a evinrude 6 hp fisherman..
I had one on my 14 foot lonestar tinny and it pushed my fat arse around nicely.

BTW...

There isnt a 3.5hp anything that is SCARY FAST! lol

Hence my confusion! PO said it was too fast, but it sure looks small for 35HP. Truth be told, I am not sure what it is. I will know more after I get some pics or make the trip out to my buddies land...

Neeco

Seaman Apprentice

After further research my boat could very well be a Sea Scamp or a Seafarer. Not sure which.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If it's only got a knob for speed, I'm thinking it might be a 3.5.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

if it has more than one spark plug..It aint no 3.5

Neeco

Seaman Apprentice

I will check for sure this weekend when I begin the resto.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Oh and to answer your ? regarding testing..
No..a tub or trash can filled with water as a test tank

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I had a twin cylinder 4 and currently have another twin cylinder 4. So there.

Neeco

Seaman Apprentice

I am still waiting on pictures, but it looks like I won't get them until I actually get my hands on the boat again. So work and pics this weekend. First things first - Cleaning/sanding. Hope to get the majority of the inside cleaned up this weekend and start on the hull as well. Pray for no loose/leaking rivets or ginormous holes!

Neeco

Seaman Apprentice

Okay, finally got it out here. Turns out its a 68 Sea Scamp 12. All original parts still!!! Here are some picks. The motor that I got with it is a Clinton built '78-'80 Sea King. Model number K350 5106 A, S#- 1460571, Type NO - XTV 50535 A. This thing is being a pain to start. So a couple questions. Can someone give me a beginners guide to getting this thing cleaned up so that I can run it? I know that its beat up, but its what I have for now. 2nd Question - I need the service manual for it. Any Ideas? Thanks guys... I am currently searching the motors sections to find the appropriate place to ask these same questions. Anywho, on to the pics!!!!

IMG_2924.jpg

IMG_2921.jpg

IMG_2925.jpg

IMG_2927.jpg

IMG_2945.jpg

IMG_2946.jpg

Neeco

Seaman Apprentice

IMG_2929.jpg

IMG_2930.jpg

IMG_2933.jpg

IMG_2934.jpg

IMG_2938.jpg

Neeco

Seaman Apprentice

The Minn
IMG_2947.jpg

IMG_2949.jpg

The trailer seen in the other pics has this tag. Its a tilt trailer.
IMG_2942.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.