Planeing problems

Irishboater

Recruit
I just purchased a 2009 Lowe 1455 modified V with a 25hp full injected 4 stroke Nissan motor. It trolls very well but when I go full throttle it seems to bog down and never seems to plane out to what I would consider full speed. The motor seems to be running ok, sounds like it is working hard and could use a few more rpm to pust the boat to a decent planing speed. It does have an hydrofoil on the motor.
Any suggestions?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Planning problems

Ayuh,... Check the fuel filters for Crud...

Ya might also need a smaller prop if it's never run Right...

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I agree with Bondo, change fuel filter... and I'd change the spark plugs too. If you do a lot of trolling with your outboard you should change your spark plugs twice a year.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I'm guessing spark plugs, too. try pulling a wire and see if you are hitting both cylinders. A 25 on a 14 will scoot.

But are you truly not getting on a plane, or just not going as fast as you think you should?

AndrewsArk

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My stepfather has a Nissan 18hp 4 stroke and it likes to warm up for quite a while before it'll go WOT. Does it happen even after it's been run a bit?

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer

Did it ever work well for you?
What size prop?
How far is the plate from the bottom of your hull?
Have you tried it without the foil?
The hull bottom in good shape?(clear water flow)
RPM is probably the biggest help to us here...any tach?

Irishboater

Recruit

Thanks guys, The fuel filter was my first guess also. It is still under a 30 day warranty through Cabellas so I took it back to them today. I will drop a note on the forum when they get it checked out.