OMC upeer gear oil leak

IMP

Seaman Apprentice
I tested 4.3L OMC cobra 1997 after having rebuilt- by shop, but installed myself. In the water, I noticed what looked like oil near the outdrive area. Once trailered home, with the drive in the up position, I have noticed a milkey oil leaking from what looks to be the top cap area. I am quite sure it is misseated or the ring has failed. My question is, with a good bellows (drive shat) what are the other posibilities. I just want to be sure and cover all grounds hear as I've just had the upper rebuilt and as you know...not cheap.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: OMC upeer gear oil leak

If you just had it rebuilt, take it back to them and get it fixed ASAP. Sounds like the drive may also have water in it.<br />If you pull the drive back off yourself, make sure there is no water in the bellows.

IMP

Seaman Apprentice
Re: OMC upeer gear oil leak

It was actually just the upper gearcase cap ring. The big rubber ring had somehow slipped out of place and was bolted on like that. I had that part off so it is my fault. Should I do anything other than change the outdrivew oil a few times a seen in prev posts. Should it be sprayed with some sort of cleaner to remove whiteish oil/ water residue?