Brand new transom. Anti-cav plate 1" higher with stainless prop??

rebuilt

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had to shelve my project for a couple of years. Now she's almost finished. Will update the pics on shareaproject soon. I've looked in archives and found the part about mounting the engine so the anti-cav plate is even with the bottom of the hull. But I seem to remember an old post that talked about mounting the setup up to 1" higher if using a stainless prop. Any truth to this? What would be the advantage(s)? Thanks in advance. So much help has come from this forum. Drewpster, TD, Woodonglass, others.
I have made what I feel are more than my share of mistakes on this project, despite much study and questioning. I really don't want any extra holes in a new transom. Measure twice, cut once. Thanks in advance, KR:)

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Brand new transom. Anti-cav plate 1" higher with stainless prop??

There is no exact answer, it depends on the hull design, motor, prop, load, how you want to use the boat and other things. Level with the bottom of the hull is normally not correct, it's typically higher, but it is a place to start. Is the correct height 1", 1.5", 2" .... there is no way to tell until you try it. Start at even or an inch higher and go up from there, if the prop starts to ventilate you've gone too high for the combination you have and you need to drop it back down slightly.