Johnson 130 V4 w/blown cylinder - advice

glcmranger

Cadet
I have a 1999 Johnson 130 hp V4 2 stroke outboard. I had loss of power two weeks ago over 5000 RPM and checked spark and compression. Spark test was great. Compression tests: 149 three cylinders, 90 in the lower left cylinder. To have a shop rebuild, $3500. New $12,000, used $7,500. Is a 1999 johnson worth putting $3,500 into rebuild? Will lower end last another three seasons..

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Johnson 130 V4 w/blown cylinder - advice

I would try decarbing, hoping for stuck rings in the low hole. See Top Secret Files.

daselbee

Commander

well....sorry to hear it. It sounds like #4 was running lean, expanded, and siezed/scored the hole. Did it suddenly shut down like it was out of gas, and, then was it hard to turn over to start again?
After cooling for a few mins, did it then turn over like normal?

Regarding rebuilding....first, I question the comp readings. I never saw a looper with such high readings. Should be around 100-110 max if it has not been modified. So if your gauge is reading high by 40 lbs, I would then expect the low cyl to be actually at 50 psi. Kinda makes it worse.

Can you do the work yourself? If so you can do it for less than $1000. First thing to do is pull the head on the port side to examine the damage.

glcmranger

Cadet

Yes daselbee,

You describe it perfectly. Once she cooled down she started right back up. On compression, I thought was high too but the variance is more than 20 psi and is worse. I can do most of it myself, except boring out the cylinders. I feel groves in the bottom cylinder. I will attach three photos of the damaged side. Let me know what you think in terms of damage. thanks

glcmranger

Cadet

Here are the pictures of cylinders. Best I could do before I took powerhead off.

bottom Starboard.JPGbottom starboard2.JPGStarboard side.JPG

daselbee

Commander

Oooohhhh. That really does not look too bad. I cannot see all the cyl wall, but if it looks like that all around, you do not have too much damage.

There are ways to fix this without a bunch of bucks, but they are RISKY.

Proper way would be remove powerhead, disassemble, machine, replace one piston and all four sets of rings, re-assemble.

If it were me, this is what I would do. (OK you guys, here it comes!!!)

This can only be done on loopers.

I would leave p'head on. I would strip down the front of the motor down to the crankcase front. Take off the port head.
Get a 3/8" drive 12 point socket on an extension and swivel and reach it in the front of the crankcase and remove the rod bolts on #4.
Remove #4 piston, Hone just #4's hole. Clean very very thoroughly. Look for gouges/ridges etc. If you have successfully honed out the cyl, re-assemble.

This way, you have fixed #4 for about 200 bucks max. VERY RISKY!!!! I have done it for a guy who has no money, and his motor is running great.
I also did it on my own motor when I FUBAR'ed and hit the starter with a piston stop tool installed in #1. It punched a hole in the top of the piston.
I fixed it just this way, and it runs.

The hardest part is the rod cap alignment. It took me about an hour fiddling with his to get it aligned right with the crankcase halves together.
You risk throwing a rod and killing the motor for good if the cap is not aligned.
You also risk not getting the cyl prepped right, and not having good compression when re-assembled.
But it can be done.

You only disturb #4, you only need one head gasket, one piston, one set of rings, four carb kits, and front end gaskets.

PM me with your phone number if you want to discuss all the ins and outs and risks in detail.

OH, and clean all four carbs to correct the lean condition that caused the problem in the first place.

daselbee

Commander

Looked at the pics again, and I see erosion of the piston side that is lined up with the exhaust port. Right at the 3:30 position. Compare top and bottom pistons and you will see.
That was running very lean.

glcmranger

Cadet

Thanks for the advice. Since this will be my first outboard rebuild I will stick with the less risky project. I have a better chance of success. Running lean? what would cause that? The worn piston?

daselbee

Commander

Better call me. No, running lean is the result of a clogged high speed jet, or the HS gas circuits in the carb. Four carbs on yours, so the bottom STBD carb is probably clogged. Guessing.

glcmranger

Cadet

Update: I purchased a remanufactures powerhead from Iboats and installed this weekend. Going through the whole break-in process. 5 minutes running idle, 30 minutes running 700-1500 rpm, 6 hrs of running 3000 rpm, blah blah blah. Hate this part. She idles great, no fault lights or horns, but once I get in 3000 to 4000 RPM she surges until she planes then runs smooth at 3000 to 4000 rpm. Is this timing adjustment needed ro normal break-in reaction?

Thanks

glcmranger

Cadet
Re: Johnson 130 V4 w/blown cylinder - Rebuilt and back together

Re: Johnson 130 V4 w/blown cylinder - Rebuilt and back together

I was reading some old threads and see that many say you should linc n sinc after a carb rebuild or major motor work. Any thoughts?