ECM emergency shut down mode - 7.4 gi 1999 fuel injected

rwcobalt

Cadet
I'm new to the forum so forgive me if I didn't search properly. I just purchased a 1999 Cobalt 25ls with a 7.4 gi, 850 hours on the meter. Well maintained boat over its life. I put 10 hours on it in two days and it ran perfect, then got to exploring the engine. I took the cap off what appeared to be the oil fill which sat just left of the oil filter on the top right of the engine. I noticed it was on tight when I removed it. I put it back on but I do not think I secured it as I should have. I later took the boat out and like others have indidcated, idles perfect and accelerated fine up to around 2500 rpms then it lost power. Pull back on the throttle and all is fine. I didn't check the cap for whatever reason at the time, but after returning home it hit me that maybe a oil pressure sensor may be triggering this shut down mode. Seems I remember seeing a sensor in that area. I'm 100 miles away so I can't just go check it. Figured someone could tell me I'm dead on and to tighten the cap down, problem fixed...

Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: ECM emergency shut down mode - 7.4 gi 1999 fuel injected

What did your gauge say? Did you ever open the engine cover and look? Unless all the oil blew out the cap and the bilge if full of oil (doubtful), but if it did. Well you probably have more problems than lack of rpm.
Did you have an overheat?

rwcobalt

Cadet

No oil blew out. I called a dealer and they indicated it may be the temp "circuit" around the exhaust area versus the engine temp?? He indicated that the water temp from the exhaust should be bath warm temp and if the impeller is starting to fail it will begin to cause temp increases in the exhaust that may not neccessarily impact the actual engine temp just yet. He indicated their was a "circuit type breaker" in that area that will trip in the event of a temp increase. sounds feasible to protect the motor from overheating, but I've never heard anything about it. I'm headed down today to take a closer look at things.

rwcobalt

Cadet

Fixed. Oil sensor was bad.