"Lucky" Restoration - 1974 Mariner 18ft

tracker01

Seaman Apprentice
So being new to doing a restoration and having looked over previous threads. I am hoping that the experienced people here could suggest standard tools needed prior to doing a restoration (right now just the floor).

After using my new-to-me boat a couple times the floor is in worse shape than I thought. A few holes and some very soft spots. I am wondering if with an extended weekend and hopefully no major issues that a floor could be replaced and water ready?

I am also wondering what the best way to work around the CC as in taking it out but keeping the essientials organized for ease of reassembly.

Tracker

Last edited:

dozerII

Admiral
Re: Essientials of a restoration

So being new to doing a restoration and having looked over previous threads. I am hoping that the experienced people here could suggest standard tools needed prior to doing a restoration (right now just the floor).

After using my new-to-me boat a couple times the floor is in worse shape than I thought. A few holes and some very soft spots. I am wondering if with an extended weekend and hopefully no major issues that a floor could be replaced and water ready?

I am also wondering what the best way to work around the CC as in taking it out but keeping the essientials organized for ease of reassembly.

Tracker

Hey tracker welcome to madness. Looks like a nice project you have there. You will need basic wood working tools, skill saw jig saw, random obit sander, belt sander if you can afford it. Rivet gun, drill, and the list goes on.
You will have to remove your CC, or at least lift it up out of the way to replace the floor. You are also going to need some foam or pool noodles for floatation. and epoxy or urethane spar varnish to seal your wood. Sheck out some of the restorations in the restoration thread and you will find a wealth of info.
Glen

Huron Angler

Admiral

Hand or air-powered rivet tool and aluminum rivets. Good cordless drill/grinder with a variety of attachments. Shop vac. Gluvit.

That's about it, good luck to ya! :)

tracker01

Seaman Apprentice

https://picasaweb.google.com/117885...authkey=Gv1sRgCN2C4tyW6-f0mAE&feat=directlink

Well i have started diving into the tear down and clean up. Found a few old homes under the floor. Along with some acorns attempting to grow.

The problem is I haven't really layed out the new floor plan. Working on a compsite flooring material from a friend for the flooring. Not sure what is happening for a new CC. Wanting to incorporate a cooler and live well (under flooring or seat).

yooperangler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thats a nice looking mariner Tracker I really like the way your bow seating is set up are you sure thats a 74 ? My 75 just had a raised casting deck up front and was open under the bow. I see from your pics youve got it pretty much tore down so great progress so far. It looks like your console is in pretty good shape ( compared to mine ) So should be able to use it for a pattern if not planning major changes or reuse it ? Make sure you save the old floor pieces for patterns as well.

tracker01

Seaman Apprentice

I finally have all the final pieces removed from the boat, just a bit of clean up to do and then do a water check. Going to replace old foam. I picked up a couple pieces of the flooring that I will be using from a friend. Its a compsite with honeycomb core. Which makes it lite weight, and shouldn't soak up a bunch of water, or rot. It may take a bit to get to the next parts and add more photos as I leave tomorrow to spend a week at boy scout camp with our troop.

Yooper,

As for the year I am just going with what I have been told. I know the motor is a '72. The seating was set up by my uncle, the unfortunate part is I may have to have them remade. Wood is a bit rotten by the bolts and upholstery starting to come off a bit. I initial thaught they were in amazing shape before seeing the back of the cushions. I have all the old pieces for patterns, the console was in alright shape just don't want to put something back in that will need to be replaced in the near future, I am also looking at similar compsite pieces that are going in the floor just thinner using a frame for structure and the support needed (since the material was scrap from his work and free).

yooperangler

Nice to have free materials. Honeycomb composite Mariner ? Should be an interesting thread . Need pics of progress:) Photobucket works well for posting here keep at it :cool:

tracker01

Seaman Apprentice

Well, it's been a busy week. Unfortunetly not with work spent working on the boat. Though the week was spent helping the future generations by taking my boy scout troop to summer camp. It was an interesting week, with no big mishaps and everyone had a good time.

Now for the boat, I was able to get styrofoam from my friend as well (hopefully enough to do the entire boat). I spent part of this evening messing with the flooring material to see how well it cuts and what it will be like to work with putting it into the boat. Found out it cuts prettly easily and it's easy to handle with one person. Much easier to manuver around the boat and put into place.

I know there is a lack of photos but it was raining a bit when I was messing around with the boat today.

yooperangler

Sounds like progress but no pics?? I can hear the angry mob gathering their pitchforks as I write this:)

tracker01

Seaman Apprentice

Funny you would talk about pitch forks!! I was thinking about that as I was giving the update yesterday that there were no photos.

Though I have photos for this update. I have the back piece of the flooring cut and have it laying in the boat. There is also an upclose photo of the material I am working with. Which I would have to say is really nice to move around the boat and in and out of it since it is so lite. Along with another photo of the styrofoam that was aquired to use under the flooring.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/gKLIhhY9xVKSm4BdySVaZftylKKi1Y8QqgK9GC_OOkU?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/mWnryT223Bbt4oGm3XeNrftylKKi1Y8QqgK9GC_OOkU?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/z9DIkXKup-BL2T91kxp2M_tylKKi1Y8QqgK9GC_OOkU?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/zn3bHXj2dESz21UfR3sth_tylKKi1Y8QqgK9GC_OOkU?feat=directlink

Last edited:

yooperangler

Nice progress Tracker that composite material sure looks interesting looks really light and amazing if it actually holds wieght.

tracker01

Seaman Apprentice

Yes, the holding weight part will be the true test. If it doesn't work like I am planning the only thing I am out is time without the boat in the water. I walked on it a bit last night to move some of the wires so that I could get it all the way back and into place. Though I made sure I was stepping right on the supports.

I am hoping to get the hull cleaned out the rest of the way this weekend and give it a water test and see how it does as far as leaks. Then hopefully get the foam cut to fit. Will also probably work on making the console.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That material looks like it will be awesome if it proves to be strong enough.

My only concern is that you mentioned Styrofoam. If you mean the white stuff, I'd be a little leary of putting that back in. It seems to soak up water like a sponge. The pink or blue stuff is that you want. (although I realize it was free)

tracker01

Seaman Apprentice

So I have a deadline to have the boat at least water worthy of Sept. 1, have a goose hunt that requires a boat to get to the sites. Doesn't have to be a finished product just almost finished.

EZ, yes I meant the white stuff. I haven't been around long enought to know more, but how long do would people say the
before the white stuff starts holding water versus the pink/blue stuff.

I have also been thinking about putting the styrofoam along the gunwales instead of under the flooring.

Picked up the material to start building the CC today or need to decide if I am going to use similar compsite material as the floor just a lot thinner. This stuff is 1/4, black outer material. I know I would have to build a frame for the console if I use this stuff but what I haven't been able to determine is if it would hold up to someone using it to stabalize themselves if not near a support. Also how hot the material will get being that its black.

The other option for the material is to use it to enclose the styrofoam along the gunwales and add a few hatches for small storage.

Any opinions would be great.

Brenn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I guess its a hard call to make without knowing how strong and or weak the material is.For building the CC and having the strength to use the CC as a support.Im guessing here but i would think if you built a strong enough frame underneath it that you wouldnt have to worry all that much.Though it being black like you say may not do well with the heat.Maybe leave the stuff in the sun for a while and mess with it and see how hot it gets? that sounds kind of dumb but you never know it may work.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Well Starcraft used white foam in our boats from the factory so I guess it would take a while to waterlog but I do know all the white I've pulled out has been saturated.

tracker01

Seaman Apprentice

Ez, I know the stuff I pulled out was waterlogged as well. Though do you know of someone that has pulled the pink/blue stuff out from an extended period of similar conditions?

Friday night, I worked on getting the CC cut out (decide that it will be made from ply wood.) Have to do some fitting and putting together.

Also gave the inside a bath, doing a water test. https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/RKmSxC8U0Nb7Ou23vtnRiftylKKi1Y8QqgK9GC_OOkU?feat=directlink
Only had one area where water came from during the test. Which was from one of the ribs, not sure what to make of it because it came from a hole in the rib. It could have been water from when it was in the water, but if it was from the water test I don't know how to go about finding where the small leak is at. Was only a small leak after letting set over night.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I know of someone that dug some pink or blue out that was BURIED IN THE GROUND! and it was bone dry. That stuff does not absorb water.

tracker01

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, you got me thinking about the flotation for the boat. I remember seeing a restoration thread where the board was placed vertically rather than horizontially. I can't remember which boat this was and haven't been able to find it yet sorting through the restorations again. Any ideas on which boat that was? Also how many boards should I expect to have to buy for an 18ft boat? I want to have an estimate on price before I go and buy it. I saw prices for 15-20 for a 4x8 sheet.

tracker01

Seaman Apprentice

Going to try and bring this back from the dead. Since my last post nothing has changed with the boat other than the location. I have since taken a new job and haven't had time to make any progress on the boat. Though I have renewed interest in getting it done or else the boat would probably be seeing a graveyard or a new owner.

As for the composite material I was going to use will no long be using. Trying to determine how to fasten it to the boat along with giving structural support to seats and such has been difficult. I will being going to the route of plywood and protecting for ease of completing the project. Need to make a new console as well.

The new location should tend for easier completion since I am now closer to the aid of relatives and better tools.

As for the first question. What can I use to seal/protect 3/4 exterior grade plywood so that I don't have to put down carpeting or flooring material. I want to be able to incorporate floor texture onto the floor to prevent it from being slippery.

Thanks for the help