1971 60 hp johnson fuel pump location noobie

powerfreeze

Recruit
My friends dad just gave me this motor, but the fuel pump is disconnected. Can anyone tell me where the hoses go (3 of them) and where it attaches to the motor? Pics would be very useful.

oldrudedude

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1971 60 hp johnson fuel pump location noobie

The fuel pump mounts on the left side of the air intake box, just forward of the starter motor. If you peak over the starter at the pump (from the back). The hose on the extreme left (attached to filter) connects to the fuel tank connector on the outer case. The middle hose attaches to the bottom of the carb. The hose on the right attaches to the engine block just below and to the left of the bottom carb. That last hose supplies pulsing vacumn from the engine. That is what drives the pump.

You should ask your friend's dad why the fuel pump was disconnected.

Before you try to start up the motor make sure you either have it in the water or have water supplied to the slots on the lower unit with a garden hose and muffs. Don't run the engine without water and don't rev the engine unless it is in the water and in gear. If you do either of these you will stress out a lot of members on this forum:facepalm: and you will have to sit in the corner wearing the dunce cap.:redface:

Running the motor without water or revving when not under load can cause serious damage.:eek:

BTW: welcome to the forum. Read the files in the sticky marked "top secret" at the top of the Evinrude Johnson page. Tons of great info in there.