Stereo Overheating

flsooner

Recruit
I recently installed a new Kenwood head unit and 4 Kicker speakers into my 2005 Chaparral 210 SSI. The combo worked great for the first 3 weeks, then all of a sudden, the speakers started popping (caused head unit to go into "protect" mode), the head unit overheated (burning smell), and eventually blew the fuse. Everything I have read is that there is a speaker wire shorted somewhere. I was hoping someone could shine some light on this, and to see if there were any tricks to running new speaker wire to the speakers if that is what is needed. Thanks!

brick75

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Stereo Overheating

Not really any tricks to it. You just need to start at the back of the head unit and track all the wiring to the speaker connections to be sure everything is secure and that no exposed wires are touching. If you have blown speakers, you'll want to replace them. I believe some units will do that automatic shutdown if you have blown speakers hooked up to them. I know I've had home stereo units do that before.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Stereo Overheating

Ohm meter is your friend in situations like this.

Disconnect each speaker, then read ohms across the terminals. Should be very close to either 4 or 8 depending on your speakers. Most are 4. An infinite reading identifies an open circuit (likely the blown speaker), and a reading of zero identifies a short within the speaker.

Then test each leg of each speaker wire too, from one end to the other. Should be close to zero for each wire. Anything much higher means replace them.

If they need to be replaced, it's just time to start crawling/reaching around....no special tricks...just gotta find them with your eyes and hands, tear them out, replace. Fish tape helps to guide and pull new wires if the original wires themselves can't be used for some reason. Use plenty of zipties and wire loom as needed on the replacements, to keep them all secured to avoid rubbing and future shorts.

NO TWIST AND TAPE. Get proper sized crimp connectors and the tools to install them.