begining rest. 1986 galaxy conquest ??

brn77

Seaman Apprentice
i tore out the floor looks like it is all foam the structure is solid the foam is wet can i just dry it out for a while or should i take it all out the prev owners left it uncovered for a yr or two i beleive this is how it got rotten n wet iv added a few pics there is another layer of fiberglas as u can see it is solid also what is the cheapest easiest thing to do here ideas ????

Attachments

• boat rest.. begining stages 003.jpg
    boat rest.. begining stages 003.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 0
  • boat rest.. begining stages 001.jpg
    boat rest.. begining stages 001.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 0

Piece715

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: begining rest. 1986 galaxy conquest ??

Looks pretty rough to tell ya the truth. The foam won't dry unfortunately, it's probably adding couple hundred pounds worth of weight. I would also core sample the stingers and transom to check for rot. The fiberglass may seem solid but the wood that's under them could be shot.

brn77

Seaman Apprentice
Re: begining rest. 1986 galaxy conquest ??

ok thanks ill look into it further this weekend ...

brn77

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 86 conquest rest. ideas , please gimme ur opinions..

boat rest progress 003.jpgboat rest progress 002.jpgboat rest progress 004.jpgboat rest.. begining stages 001.jpg

ok here r the pics after this weeks work .. I have gotten out all the foam the main stringers are good i drilled and inspected however the top one as u can see has rot bout half way up .. This is my plan im gnna re-coat everything with epoxy resin , fill rotted part with epoxy wood rot it supposed to be a excellent product.. I did sand everything smooth i found a drill bit 3m paint and rust remover at superwal-mart that works really well and faster then sanding "by the way " .. Then im gnna use a moisture resisitant ply coat with 1708 and epoxy resin fill all the sides in with resin ,cabusoul and strand mixture.. make a drain system since the storage holds water etc ... and dwn all the stringers to bilge .. then use gel-coat or epoxy paint maybe even a spray liner to do the deck for additional water proofing ... NO CARPET I THINK IT HOLDS TO MUCH MOISTURE !!! The previous owners put it in and left uncovered for 2 yrs his dad had it before and took care of it idk y people do that but ne way this is my plan any suggestions on improvements or ideas will be greatly appreciated... it will be garage kept etc.. the transom looks ok and solid for know i may have to do it in a few more years but not ready at this point .... i was even thinking about using the truck bedding spray any thoughts on that ??? wat about foam is there something i can use that doesnt hold water like that crap ????? maybe stiraphone, or them foam noodles , reg house insulation foam it doesnt hold water ????

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Nice work on the tear out. Sounds like a plan. If you've been reading the threads on here, you know what you've gotta do. If the foam in your boat wasn't structural (doesn't look it to me) then you can replace with pool noodles or the pink or blue sheet foam from Lowes/Home Depot. http://picasaweb.google.com/pacerdude/EntireDeckReplacement89Celebrity224se#5305852018165355202 You need to drill a couple holes on your transom near the bottom and inspect the shavings. Light brown good, dark and wet bad. Rot is like cancer and will spread. I'm a little concerned about your stringer repair idea.

brn77

Seaman Apprentice

well wat should i do just cut it out to were it is good ,the front of the boat is dry its just up to about the steering on the starboard side..and replace it ?? can i just put a new one next to it so i dnt have to tear it out ??

Marada92

Petty Officer 1st Class

How long are you planning on keeping the boat? Everything your looking at that seems good may just be just that. If your planning to keep it for awhile and overlook an area that seems good but actually has rot forming in it then a few years down the road your going to have that part of the boat to deal with. I'm with Ezmobee... Really check that transom. Just because it's dry in a few spots doesn't mean it's good everywhere else. Mine was soaked 4" up but as good as new on top. Areas of my bilge that I assumed were pretty solid were actually filled with 3" of water after being stored for 10 months. The solid structure i thought i had was coming ftom the thickness of the CSM. But with all that being said.. How well you fix it is all up to you and the time and $$ you have to drop in it. I just know I'm not putting my family back in mine until I know it's built solid again! Good luck to ya man.

brn77

Seaman Apprentice

well idk how long or if im up to rdoing the whole boat man is it a rough job . Mine seems weaker on top than bottom . as far as the stringers i drilled the middle ones n they r dry n solid the top ones on both sides are bad and rotted but im not gnna tear it all aprt just yet ill wait for a couple more years if i decide to keep it ,may just get a new one idk yet ??? these boats were not ment to be torn apart like a car from wat i can see. I did re seal everything with resin and put new foam in hopefully itll help it last a lil longer but i dont think its bad enough yet to tear apart totally ,transom is leaking so gotta tear into that look at bellows n all from wat i can see they look ok im thinking the seal is bad . Good luck to u to cant wait to see it wen its done how is it coming ??

brn77

Seaman Apprentice

i WILL PUT PICS UP SOON GOT THE DECK ALL DONE , PLANNING ON PULLING MOTOR AND DOING TRANSOM THIS WINTER BUT WILL BE FINE FOR THE REST OF THE SEASON OR TWO ???? i ALSO REDID ALL THE BACK SEATS AND SEALED THEM AS THEY HAD NOTHING ON THEM BUT RAW WOOD HOPEFULLY THIS WILL GET ME SOME MORE LIFE OUTTA THEM .... PICS COMING SOON ....