How much should it cost to replace an alternator on 96 Crownline?

somebeach69

Recruit
We need our alternater replaced for our Crownline 1996 Bow Rider 225. Any idea what this will run? I assume the part should be between $175-$225?? What about labor??

Thanks,

J

scrit9mm

Chief Petty Officer
Re: How much should it cost to replace an alternator on 96 Crownline?

do it yourself. find your part number then google search it, you will find many replacement alternators. I just changed mine for 68.00 purchased off ebay. its about a 10 min job with basic tools.

somebeach69

Recruit

do it yourself. find your part number then google search it, you will find many replacement alternators. I just changed mine for 68.00 purchased off ebay. its about a 10 min job with basic tools.

I'm not the handiest with that type of job. And time is definately an issue. So looking to get our mechanic to do it but just want to make sure we are being charged a fair price. We are new at this. Thank you for your reply!!!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There is no way anyone can tell you how long it's going to take because no one knows what engine you have or what the access is to the alternator. 10 minutes is a joke if you are expecting a shop to do it. it takes longer than 10 minutes to test run it after replacing the alternator.
A realistic number for a shop to R&R an alternator with reasonable access, then test run, would be an hours labor. Also expect the shop to make money on parts. They will not sell you an alternator for what you can buy one for.

jhebert

Ensign

If everything works in your favor, the repair will cost $275. If things work against you, it will cost at least twice that much. You can apply this rule to all repairs.