Suction Devices for oil changes?

whistler66

Seaman
Just looking around in a catalog and ran across (again) one of those suction pumps advertising they make changing oil (or other fluids) easier? I just can't believe one can stick a hose into a blind hole and expect to extract all the fluids from the bottom of that pan. Then she's ready to add the required amount for an oil change etc. I always thought you wanted a hot engine so the oil or fluids will flow and any contaminants will be suspended and flow out with the old oil. Also the flow from a removed oil plug will take any heavier particles out of the system with it. I know my dad who ran a fleet of trucks used a dimiliar device to add fluids to the transmissions and rear ends of his trucks but the old plugs came out when it was time to drain anything. I have no experience with inboards so I might have to bite my tongue on this one but...... are these really used that much or just needed in special occasions.

partskenn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Suction Devices for oil changes?

I use one all the time on my boat. You pump the handle 2 or 3 times, and walk away for 15 minutes while it sucks the oil out, It probably doesn't drain as thoroughly as the pulling the drain plug, but on my boat at least, that's not easy to do. It does pull as much oil out as the electric pump I used to use, and it's a lot more dependable.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Whistler, A lot of folks use them or something similar. The marine engines also have a dipstick tube that goes nearly to the bottom of the oil pan, and there are devices that screw onto the dip stick tupe to suck out the oil. I have always drained the oil into the bilge, since I (like you) was convinced that was the best way.

whistler66

Seaman

Thanks fellows, Like I said sometimes I over think things. People that know me probably wouldn't think that's possible. I knew there had to be a viable use form them as almost every catalog has one available. I guess I just like the clean up associated with a big pan of oil in the middle of the garage floor. You know it's just waiting to get kicked or knocked over!:D

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You should still warm up the engine prior to the change (on muffs or in the water).