Gasket Sealant on Power head to lower unit gasket on a 1957 Johnson 5.5 HP CD-14

Bedfordman

Recruit
I am rebuilding the lower unit on a 1957 Johnson 5.5 HP CD-14.

Have replaced all the seals and impeller, etc.

Ready to re-install lower unit and re-install power head.

Question.

When I install a new gasket in between the powerhead and the lower unit should I use any type of sealant and, if yes, what is the correct type to use?

Thank you.

jbjennings

Captain
Re: Gasket Sealant on Power head to lower unit gasket on a 1957 Johnson 5.5 HP CD-14

If you mean between the lower unit and midsection----No, sealant is neither required or necessary. Neither is there a gasket in between the midsection and lower unit as far as I can remember. If you're referring to the powerhead to midsection, there is no sealant necessary there, either. Do be careful to install the carbon seal assembly correctly on the drive shaft. Also, check it to be sure it's good. It's a common practice to replace the carbon seal upon reassembly. A new shift lever O-ring is not a bad idea, either. Part #31, here: http://www.marineengine.com/parts/v...evinrude-johnson/ITEM_2830/ITEM_283000001.htm
Good luck,
JBJ

PatSea

Cadet
Re: Gasket Sealant on Power head to lower unit gasket on a 1957 Johnson 5.5 HP CD-14

I replaced the impeller of my 1957 7.5 Johnson this past winter. I bought all new seals since it seemed like the right thing to do, they were readily available through the Johnson dealer. The only tricky part of the job was lowering the power head back down on the intermediate section and getting everything aligned properly. The motor runs great and pumps cooling water as it should.

Bedfordman

Recruit

Thanks for the reply.

I was talking about the gasket between the powerhead and the midsection.

Also thanks for the tip on the o ring on the shifter.

Will change out.

Again, thanks for the assistance.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

To each his own but I've always used gasket sealer between p/h and the mid section on these mtrs.