no spark on two cylinders??

flaxterra

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1992 60 hp evinrude. It hasnt been used in a while. I was cranking it over today checking a no start and notice only one coil is firing. Instead of swapping the coils I removed the power lead from the know good coil and connected it to the coil above it. I then removed the spark plug wire from that cylinder and I had spark while cranking. I put the lead back to its proper coil and had spark out of that coil. I guess it is save to assume it is not the coils that are bad. What should I check next??

Oldyellow71

Seaman Apprentice
Re: no spark on two cylinders??

Well, I am a plane mech, not a boat mech first off. I would not recommend that though as there may be a firing order. However, as the pros on here and the internet have taught me, you can read out your stator/timer base check out CDI's website in the troubleshooting section. It will give you the resistance and dva readings you should be getting off both components. Also have a friend (with the motor off) advance th throttle lever and make sure the timer base isn't binding/sticking.

Skifferskipper

Seaman Apprentice

I Had a problem similar to this.. Turned out that my stator was bad and not giving the engine enough spark to run both coils..

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade

First im hoping that he had the plugs pulled and grounded when looking for a spark after they were swaped. But yea check out the resistance test for the stator to see if it passes , you also need to check your powerpack as well as it can cause you to drop a side. But the coils are cheap and if you want to just throw parts at it you can, but i dont recommend that.

flaxterra

Seaman Apprentice

I did find the site to troubleshoot cdi. I will do that tonight. I was just checking to see if it sounded like a familiar problem that someone has run into. I pretty much ruled out the coil when I swapped the power wire from the one firing cylinder to the next and the spark followed the power lead. I did ground the coils when checking, not sure of another way besides a spark checker. thanks for the info, I will let you know what I come up with.

flaxterra

Seaman Apprentice

Powerpack fixed it. No replacement for a good factory repair manual.