Caught bait with my cast net.

Tyme2fish

Commander
Now I know this is not earth shattering news to those that know how to throw one, but it was a first for me today.

Met my fishing partner, Knute (the heathen) at the New Albany,IN ramp at 1600 hours and off we went to catch shad and skipjacks.

I caught 3 shad and 2 skipjacks on the first throw. Caught some more on a couple more throws then Knute (the heathen) wanted to try. Unless he plans on knocking the bait unconscious with the lead line, he's not going to catch anything with the way he throws a net.

We went on up below the hydros and anchored. I fished for cats while Knute (the heathen) cast swim baits and pop'r type lures for the whites.

My first 4 inch live whole shad wasn't in the water for 5 minutes when I hooked and landed a nice 15lb blue. I let that one back but kept some other smaller ones that I caught on cut skipjack.

The afternoon, early evening thunder storm that I didn't see on any forecasts showed up and knocked us off the water early. I can brave a small shower, but thunder and lightning was starting to crash and we left.

I remembered to put in the drain plug and take off the transom straps. I pre-started the motor in my driveway so Knute (the heathen) could start the motor when we launched. That does seem to help him starting my motor.

ngt

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Caught bait with my cast net.

Any tips? I just got my first net...haven't used it yet.

Ithica DB

Seaman

Any tips? I just got my first net...haven't used it yet.

You have to hold a pcs of the net in your teeth to get the larger nets to open fully. I first tryed without doing this and through banana's once put part in teeth not a problem. Be carefull not to pull out any teeth.

whistler66

Seaman

Hey tyme2fish give some dimensions (size, weights, mesh size etc) on your net please. If you were going to buy a new one would you buy the same net or do something different? I'm in the market but as I looked for a net there were so many different kinds I got confused and went home. More research needed. My needs would be similar as yours bait fish from the Ohio River area but if there was a compromise type net that one could basically use for just about anything including use in the Saltwater areas I might be interested in this option, Thanks.

Tyme2fish

Commander

Facts about my net. I recovered this net years ago from the Ohio river. I don't know the exact mesh size. I'm about 5'10" and when I hold the net at the horn,its about eye level with me. I've spread it out on the ground and it appears to be about 10 feet in diameter.

Hints I've received is to start with a small (about 5 feet) net if you've never thrown one before. The smaller nets are easier to throw (so I've been told).

The video posted by jigngrub is the one I learned by.

A new net can be "seasoned and softened" by placing it in a 5 gallon bucket,adding water to completely cover the net then adding a cup of liquid fabric softener. Let soak for a day then rinse.

I'm no expert by any means, but it's like the old joke: "How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice,Practice,Practice.

Ithica DB

Seaman

I have found 10-12' nets are easier than the smaller ones to cast. As far as mesh size please check regs for the area you are casting and bait you are casting for, they do differ some.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I love my net!!!!!

I was spending $10-$13 a trip on bait till I saw a cast net for $24, I go to a local trailer park with a pond and catch bluegill to go catfishing with, I even set up a tank in the garage this year so I can go get 40-60 at a time and don't need to get bait for 3-4 weeks.