Chrysler outdrive question

B King

Seaman Apprentice
I am looking at a project boat. It has a GM 2.5 iron duke motor with a chrysler outdrive. The guy telling me about the boat said he was told. When you run the drive unit, the Chyrsler only works in drive all the way down or all the way up? Is this true and if it is how do you trim it when you approach or exit a shallow launch?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Chrysler outdrive question

I am looking at a project boat. It has a GM 2.5 iron duke motor with a chrysler outdrive. The guy telling me about the boat said he was told. When you run the drive unit, the Chyrsler only works in drive all the way down or all the way up? Is this true and if it is how do you trim it when you approach or exit a shallow launch?

Ayuh,.... Are ya Sure it's a Chrysler,..??
OMC Stringer drives can only be run when All the way Down...

Got a Picture,..??

B King

Seaman Apprentice

Let me see if I can pull a picture, was told Chrysler but not sure. It is cream white.

B King

Seaman Apprentice

Starcraftbackend.jpg

starcraftinsideview.jpg

starcraftportview.jpg

that is a OMC, looks like a '78-'80. 800 series perhaps., the reason it has to run with drive down is so the ball gears stay engaged. When I come into shallow water, I just kill the motor and bring the drive up. Looks like a "fun" project.

good luck

rich

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... That's an ole OMC Stringer drive...

Find a different project, with Merc or Volvo power...

B King

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys....I may walk away.

B King

Seaman Apprentice

Since this dirve is hard to find parts for. Would it sell if I parted it out? Sell the dirve complete on ebay with no reserve? What would it be worth?

I can also sel the engine. I have heard some good things about it.

We had decided to take the boat in trade for some extra toys I have. We are going to use all the new parts for this boat to restore our other starcraft project. We will strip it and part everything out and sell the aluminum for scrap. The trailer is worth more that what we will have into the whole deal. They have all the paints, seats and carpet for our new boat. Plus we can strip all the chrome and electrical and guages.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Since this dirve is hard to find parts for. Would it sell if I parted it out? Sell the dirve complete on ebay with no reserve? What would it be worth?

I can also sel the engine. I have heard some good things about it.

It's worth what ever someone will pay for it. Look around on Ebay at similar auctions for stringer drives. Since you have a 4 cylinder engine, you most likely have a 400 series drive, unless someone has monkeyed around and changed it out.

The engine is what it is. It's probably at least 30 years old, and who knows what shape it's in. It may be a great running motor, it may be a rebuildable core, or it may be scrap. One thing it's not is an "Iron Duke". Iron Duke's was a Pontiac 2.5L crossflow. The 2.5L you have is a Chevy/GM industrial motor which is the little brother of the 3.0L found in new boats today.

B King

Seaman Apprentice

It's worth what ever someone will pay for it. Look around on Ebay at similar auctions for stringer drives. Since you have a 4 cylinder engine, you most likely have a 400 series drive, unless someone has monkeyed around and changed it out.

The engine is what it is. It's probably at least 30 years old, and who knows what shape it's in. It may be a great running motor, it may be a rebuildable core, or it may be scrap. One thing it's not is an "Iron Duke". Iron Duke's was a Pontiac 2.5L crossflow. The 2.5L you have is a Chevy/GM industrial motor which is the little brother of the 3.0L found in new boats today.

I agree...you are only going to get what people are willing to pay.

I have heard it was not a Iron Duke. This is partially why we backed out of the deal in the first place. We don't want the boat, we want everything new that comes with it except the hull, motor and outdrive. The deal would get rid of something I am not using, he would throw cash in the trade. So at minimum, I will break even and have supplies to restore our boat project. If I get anything for the trailer, boat hull (scrap) motor and drive we make money. I have a couple of guys who dismantle for me. The new seats, carpet, paints, primer, wood and hardware make the deal good for us.