How do I replace the live well hose?

cons_dad

Cadet
1988 Blue Fin Sportsman 17 -

I am 95% sure I have a leak somewhere between the livewell intake and the live well itself. I had the boat out last weekend and when I pulled the plug I was amazed by the amount of water. I ran the bilge pump out on the water, before I started using the live well and it was dry.

I take a garden hose and spray it into the live well intake off the back of the boat. Water starts coming out the plug.

My issue. . .

How in the world do I change the line? I can get to the pump, it is at the transom. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get to the underside/backside of the live well itself. I would need access to hook up the new line.

Any ideas? I am 100% open to jokes if the obvious is in front of my face and I am missing it.

Thank you in advance. . .

Re: How do I replace the live well hose?

Just came across your post. I'm in the process of rebuilding my boat which also has a livewell. The floor was rotted and when I removed it I was rather shocked at how the hose for the livewell was run thru the bottom of the boat. For the most part the hose was inaccessible without tearing up the floor. You might have the same situation!! Good Luck!

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

So you have a leak in the drain...maybe hose, maybe drain fitting. I'd find out first where the leak is coming from. What type of access and view do you have of the underside of the drain?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Some pics of your boat would help... but I looked up your boat on the net, tinny with carpeted deck... right? If this is it, it won't/shouldn't be that bad.

You should be able to take the screws out of your carpeted decking panels and access your live well connections... unless the decking was screwed down and then carpeted over the screws. The screws may/will be a little difficult to find through the carpet pile, but not impossible.

Hope this helps.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

ypou are just gonna have to ite the bullet and crawl under there and change it, it is a major pita, that was the worst part of rebulding my boat and have a fill line and pump out line but there is no other way.

They do get stupid with how they do the lines, on my Sea Nymph the hose for the front livewell was run through a side pod then filled with foam, don't tell my wife but I may know where her good garden hose went.....

Also stay away form the corragated line, it will eventually crack on one of the ribs, spend the money and stay with the smooth hose.

etracer68

Ensign

I had to cut through the floor to get at my pump and hose. I replaced the pump and hose, and used 3/4" heater hose for an auto.

ken52

Petty Officer 1st Class

Look for access panels to give you access to area. I was lucky when I started changes hoses for my fish boxes there were access panels but it was still difficult. You may have to cut an access hole. If you cut a hole, cut it to fit a 4" or 6" or larger hole but first find the access hole cover you want to use and cut it for that size. Now you'll have easy access to it in the future.