Starting engine after 2 years

Memflash

Recruit
I have recently bought a 1983 Celebrity, 20' I/O 470 Mercruiser. The boat has not been started in about 2 years. Oil, coolant, and engine look fine and I can turn it over with wrench. Seems OK. I would like to know if there is something specific I should do prior to trying to crank the engine. I am going to unhook fuel line and use external tank to start it and clean filter. Anything else I should do?

The interior of the boat has been removed so this is definitely a project boat. So I expect you will be hearing from me again.

Thanks

CobiaXL

Banned
Re: Starting engine after 2 years

Id change oil and filter now,then fire it off.

dkellogg3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I squirted about 3/4 oz of Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder about a week before I fired mine up. She was sitting for 3-1/2 years.

Pete104

Lieutenant

Take points out & put new ones in. Your gonna need'm anyway!

scipper77

Commander

Fresh gas and replace fuel filters. (kind of obvious the fresh gas part). A little oil in each plug hole. Make sure the pulleys are smooth so you don't chew up the belts. If the oil and filter was changed when it was put away you can change the oil if you like but I don't see any reason to swap the filter.

Also the impeller may have taken on a pretty good set from sitting for so long. The bellows could have done the same. Those don't matter for initial startup of a sitting motor but be aware.

littlebookworm

Chief Petty Officer

You don't mention which drive you have, but I assume it's an Alpha I. You need to change the impeller in the drive and the drive fluid before you attempt to start the engine. Otherwise you will overheat and may cause damage to your drive and your engine. I suggest you get manuals, Mercruiser manuals preferred, for your engine and your drive. That way you will have info and details to help you get everything woeking correctly. They are available as free downloads on various sites. Good luck with your project. I've done two of them and have enjoyed them tremendously. Hy