Will raising outboard up one hole help with a boat thats porpoising

snake91876

Petty Officer 1st Class
14 ft mckee craft with 60hp johnson tilt n trim motor with the anti ventilation plate sitting flush to keel. Boat bounces bad or porpoises after i plane at all trim heights even the lowest setting, when i slow back a little she starts pounding the water. Will raising the motor up one or two holes with anti ventilation plate above the keel help or make this worse.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Will raising outboard up one hole help with a boat thats porpoising

It may help, but you may also need to do other things like move some weight around.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Did it run fine before and this just happened? Or, did you just buy the boat and you're not happy with the performance?

Better look at the hull first. Sounds like you may have a hook in it (warped keel due to improper storage on an improperly adjusted trailer).

If the hull is OK, it may just be over powered. What HP is it rated for?

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

If you're porpoising, you need to lower the motor. It really sounds as if your motor and fuel tank(s) are too heavy for a very lightweight boat--tail heavy resulting in the front end sticking up.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

If you're porpoising, you need to lower the motor. It really sounds as if your motor and fuel tank(s) are too heavy for a very lightweight boat--tail heavy resulting in the front end sticking up.

Lowering the motor will increase the bow lift and normally increase porpoising.

SleekWolf

Seaman Apprentice

Better look at the hull first. Sounds like you may have a hook in it (warped keel due to improper storage on an improperly adjusted trailer).

If the hull is OK, it may just be over powered. What HP is it rated for?

Looking at my boat on the trailer, it appears to have a hook towards the rear where it sits on the rollers. Is this normal? I haven't had it in the water yet since I bought it, so I don't know how it performs.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

You should post a pic of that area, it will help in getting good answers.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Looking at my boat on the trailer, it appears to have a hook towards the rear where it sits on the rollers. Is this normal? I haven't had it in the water yet since I bought it, so I don't know how it performs.

Not usually normal, but you didn't say what the materials of construction are, nor the type of boat.

If its not properly supported, or if it is but its innards are all rotten, you might have a problem.