1977 70hp Johnson Seahorse HELP!!!!!

Out on the water, boat wouldnt start. Lifted the cover to take a look, finally got it started after floating all day, and gas was POURING out of the carbs. Engine was shaking like CRAZY. Made it back to the dock pinned at full speed and we were BARELY moving. Anyone know what I can check for or do???? Please help, my wife traded her Camaro for this boat and if I cant get it fixed she will never let me hear the end of it!

nwcove

Admiral
Re: 1977 70hp Johnson Seahorse HELP!!!!!

sounds like a carb/float issue, is this boat new to you? first time out with it? when were the carbs rebuilt?

BonairII

Commander

When you realized that you were barely moving at WOT...it was probably time to shut it down and row it the rest of the way or let a passing boater tow you in.
It's no diff than people I see that continue to drive their overheating cars cause they don't want to be inconvenienced walking or paying $100 for a tow... instead they pay thousands to replace their motor.

I'm certainly NOT hoping that you irreparably harmed your motor, but this sort of thing should serve as a wake up call whether it's an outboard or not.

If any motor is making funny noises, grinding, spewing coolant, or generally acting erratically.....shut 'er down immediately before more damage is done. Paying for a tow is much cheaper than ruining an engine just so the owner can get back home/dock.

Just my 2 cents and not meant to be personal.

nwcove

Admiral

in "tryinto fix's" defense, there are situations where .....if my motor is acting up, but will run......i run it.....towards shore! weather forecasts are sketchy at best.....motors can be replaced.