new to boating with 72 starcraft nova

sweetwil23

Cadet
I am Wil from detroit area, MI. I just bought a 1972 starcraft nova with 85hp johnson. i believe it looks original from looking at old pics online but not sure. either way, boat is solid. took it on lake huron in east tawas, MI over july 4th weekend. problem i have is the reverse doesnt work. i removed lower and the shift wire(blue/green) was pinched from previous owner who had water pump and seals replaced but reassembled lower back himself and pinched wire in process. i took to mechanic here and he said its the wire. i replaced the wire. put everything back. fired motor up with muffs on and water hose and propeller turned in reverse. i was happy til i put in lake to go reverse and nothing. other step is new solenoid. before i do that i was wondering if anyone knew anything about these boats and motors and known history on reliabilty and if this is the next step i take. i appreciate the info. thanks. Wil from MI

Attachments

• IMAG0226.jpg
    IMAG0226.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMAG0225.jpg
    IMAG0225.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 4
  • IMAG0228.jpg
    IMAG0228.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMAG0227.jpg
    IMAG0227.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMAG0229.jpg
    IMAG0229.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 4

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer
Re: new to boating with 72 starcraft nova

The rarely seen Nova! I would love to have a Nova 18 - I/O of course ez!!

Those Nova's are sharp!!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Awesome boat. Really sharp!

Unfortunately you missed getting a mechanical shift motor by 1 year ('73 and newer. I lucked out with a '73 85HP on my last boat). The electric shift motors were fine unless you developed a shifting problem which you seem to have. The solenoids and the shift switch in the control box are NLA. Your only real option is a salvage place or ebay for a different lower. In the Johnson/Evinrude section there's a list of motor salvage places. I have personally had dealings with TCOutboard http://www.twincityoutboard.com/ and was pleased.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Wow those Novas look fast:D

I like that boat, seems to have been well cared for all these years.

Welcome aboard, plenty of good help on the site. Check out the Johnnyrude forum for advice with that 85hp.

Tawas is a great location for boating, I spend lots of time just north of Alpena myself.:)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Extra sharp rig, sooooo cool!:)

bananaboater

Ensign

I've only seen maybe 3 Novas on this site. Last one was in Kentucky and the owner was on line for just a while. Same color as I remember. This one looks like it is a tinny. Did not know they made this model in aluminum, the Kentucky one was glass as I remember. They sure are sleek. Welcome.

Last edited:

N1265

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice boat, love the back bench seat...