Bilge Pump Question

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
The pump is located at the lowest point in the bilge. Usually on the bilge floor under the engine. Yes you can use a pump from iboats. It would probably be similar to what came on your boat anyway. Find your existing pump and find out what it's gallon per hour rating is. Then just buy equal or higher.

Regal-89

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Bilge Pump Question

I have a Mercruiser/Alpha 1 I/O, my pump no longer works. So since I am doing some minor work to the boat this winter I am going to replace the pump. Can someone tell me if I should replace with an aftermarket pump (found one here in MEGAMALL). Or should I go to the dealer and get the exact one that will be taken out. Also where is this pump located in the boat. I'm sure somewhere in the back, but thought I would ask before I start looking. I am getting a book this afternoon, so I won't ask so many dumb questions, but thanks for anyone's help.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Re: Bilge Pump Question

It would be easiest if you got a duplicate as far as re-installing it but there are many quality pumps you can get that will work fine .Try to get the same size discharge hose so it will be 1 less thing to replace.Wait until you get the old one out to get a replacement incase you decide to get an auto pump which I highly recommend.Charlie

Regal-89

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well to be honest, I just guessed that since it wasn't pushing out any water....then it was time for a new one (89 runabout). I never have much water in the boat anyway, but I never could hear the pump turned on when it was switched on. I guess I should check the voltage at the pump before I buy another pump. Thanks for that input, I guess that should be one of the things I should have checked before asking my question. Thanks !

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Shane, the above posts are good advice. I was just wondering how you determined that the pump needed to be replaced ? Remember to check for 12V at the pump.

MrBill

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Before buying new pump remove the screen to see if it isn't working due to debris, etc. Very often leaves and other material can clog the impeller. On a small runabout the bilge pump impeller is only about one inch in diameter (500 gph) and can easily clog. If new is necessary, I'd suggest a one piece self-contained unit with auto and manual on, rather than one with separate float switch - about $25-30. They are convenient and easy to connect.