Trailer Button Trim Not Working

keen143

Recruit
Hello, new to here but hoping someone is able to help out. I have a 96 SeaRay 175 with a Mercruiser 3.0lx Alpha One outdrive. Recently, I went to trailer it home and when pushing the trailer button to trim it all the way up nothing happened. The regular up/down trim works just fine but when I go to push the trailer trim, nothing happens. Need to raise it up more as now I only have about 5 inches of clearance. Any ideas what may be going on here? Thanks!

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: Trailer Button Trim Not Working

The trim up and the trailer wires meet up at a connector (black wire from trim limit in and 2 blue/white wires out, 1 b/w from t switch, 1 b/w to up solenoid) in the stern. So if the trim up works and the trailer does not, your trouble is somewhere between the switch in the control and the connector, best bet check out the switch. If you need to raise the outdrive more locate the other black trim limit wire where it goes into a connector with a purple/white wire. Unplug both black wires and jumper between the two connectors, bypassing the trim limit switch. Your trim switch will now operate same as the trailer switch, for a temporary fix.

keen143

Recruit

Perfect! Thank you much! I will go from there and hopefully the switch is all then. Thanks again for the help!

keen143

Recruit

Would you know how to get the plastic covering off to access the trailer trim switch inside the throttle lever? It seems like it snaps together in the middle but didn't want to pry to hard and break without knowing for sure. If there was a diagram or instructions on how to take apart to change out switch that would be awesome! Thanks anyone for the help.

Bondo

Staff member

Would you know how to get the plastic covering off to access the trailer trim switch inside the throttle lever? It seems like it snaps together in the middle but didn't want to pry to hard and break without knowing for sure. If there was a diagram or instructions on how to take apart to change out switch that would be awesome! Thanks anyone for the help.

Ayuh,.... Meter the switch to see if it works or not,...
No need to rip things apart fer no reason...
Identify the circuits, 'n test the circuits to see what needs fixin', 'n where...

Check out the Adults Only section at the top of this forum,...
Yer answers are In there...

stonyloam

Vice Admiral