Controls and tilt and trim

medubose

Recruit
I am just about finished restoring an1973 Glastron-Carlson with a AQ130C Volvo-Penta. Can the drive be locked down until I get my new tilt and trim motor in? How does the throttle control work on the boat. (Example: what's starting position?.....Where is neutral?) This is my 1st boat restoration. Thanks for all the help. Martin

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Controls and tilt and trim

If it is just the motor off and not the tilt assembly, and the vise rod is retracted the drive should be locked down. If the tilt assem is not installed the hole will leak. A pic of your control would be helpful but it should have a button aft of the lever that pulls out to lock neutral for starting.

wellcraft19

Petty Officer 1st Class

Maybe restate what "medubose" said above:

On your engine, unless it has hydraulic power trim (two rams on the outside of the drive shield), you only have a power TILT (i.e. to lift the outdrive up out of the water). The "TRIM" is fixed, or "fixed" as you can move a pin and hence control the position/angle of the outdrive. You have to stop to do this though.

Only saying it here because many years ago I was about to buy a boat with power TILT and did not know that is was not the same as power "TRIM". You will ruin it if you "tilt" and run the boat.

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My bad, should have elaborated more, what wellcraft said. You have NO power trim.