Choke/Throttle questions

jayrat86

Cadet
1993 Yamaha 130hp 2cycle OB

Hey guys, I'm relatively new to boating (just bought a boat last fall) and am hoping to get some clarification on my throttle settup. My boat has a side box shifter that has a throttle lever, choke switch, and the shifter. When I was learning about boats and while reseraching my boat I understood that from a cold start i prime the fuel bulb, raise the throttle lever, and simultaneously hit the choke and ignitiion switch.

This past weekend I couldnt get my motor to fire after anchoring for a couple hours. My question, what is the procedure after sitting for a couple hours, do I need to choke at all or just prime/throtte/ignition? Also, what about using the boat the next day. While obviously the motor is not warm anymore, do I still need to choke since I ran it just the day before.

Sorry if this is an obvious question but I want to learn more and am having trouble finding information. I know this is the place to ask so I look forward to any and all information.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Choke/Throttle questions

Hit the "clutch"???????????? Your boat doesn't have one. It does, but not in the traditional sense. So what is it exactly you are "hitting?". Starting procedure can vary even among identical engines so what works for yours may
not work as well on someone elses engine. But basically here ya go:

1) Squeeze primer bulb until firm (should be necessary only on first start of the day).
2) Fast idle lever up unless engine has prime-start.
3) Turn key to START and hold key IN while cranking. (Holding the key in is not necessary if engine has prime-start).

The remainder of the day the engine should start without priming.

jayrat86

Cadet

Sorry about that, I corrected it to say "choke" and not clutch. Slip of the key I guess.

If I dont need to prime the bulb is it safe to say I don't need to choke it after the first start up of the day?

Depends on how long you let it sit, normally between fishing spots you will not need to choke it again, if you spend a good portion of the day beaching it you may need to. Boats run about 50-60 degrees cooler than automobiles so they will cool down a little quicker. If you find yourself having to choke it constantly you have a fuel delivery/carb problem.