Another question on harmonic balancer bolt and washer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgresham75

Seaman
I purchased a new harmonic balancer bolt and washer as recommended by another member on the forum. However, the seawater pump does not fit due to the thickness of the washer. From all the part breakdowns and drawing, it appears that the washer is a stepped, sunken washer-in order to fit under the seawater pump.

I have checked through all the parts breakdowns but cannot find this washer. Does anyone know how to get a part number for the special washer?

Thanks in advance.

GeorgeDes

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This post is almost 9 years old, but facing the same situation, I came upon it. Just rebuilt a marine version of the VP 5.7 GSI from a short block that did not come with the harmonic balancer. Sure enough, the raw water pump will not fit over a stock GM harmonic balancer center bolt. What I have found looking at the VP 5.7 GXI parts diagram is a recessed washer for the center bolt. This part number is 3858177. Interesting that the diagram for the GSI does not even show a center bolt. Can’t believe that the harmonic balance would depend soley upon a press fit when the Chevy manual calls for a 60 ft-lb torque in an auto application.

Status
Not open for further replies.