Humminbird Fish Finder

kcfromohio

Seaman
I have a Matrix 12 fishing system from Humminbird. I have the base mounted on my dashboard. When I click the unit into the base, It goes in smooth and locks. When I try to remove the unit from the base,The release button is very hard to push and does not always disingage the unit from the base. As a result I have damaged the pivot point on the base. It seems as if the release button is not working properly. When not on the base I can only depress the button about 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch and it is very hard. It seems like trying to spray a can of wasp killer without removing that little plastic trigger guard.
I tried finding a Humminbird forum but I had no luck with that either.
Any Info and input would be helpful and appreciated!

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Humminbird Fish Finder

Push the finder into the boat. That will relieve the pressure on the latch, then pull out on the finder and it should pull off a little easier. Try some lubrication on the latch. Mine requires a little effort, but at least it will not pop off when I are not planning on it.

TerryMSU

rfdfirecaptain

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have the exact same problem with my Humminbird 797 unit. I don't think this is random because this is my second Humminbird that has had this issue. Thanks for the suggestion. I will try it tomorrow.

Rick.

Captain

Don't have the problem with mine. You should contact Humminbird customer service. I have found them to be very helpful, Much better than most customer service dept's. Best of luck. Rick.

kcfromohio

Seaman

I contacted Humminbird. They said since my unit was a year and a half old, it is not covored under warrenty and I will need to buy a new base mount. The little plastic base mount costs 50 bucks. I told them that is a little steep. And a new base mount will not fix the problem with a faulty release button on the unit. Their reply to me was, "Sorry we cant help you!"

@Rick,,,, We must have talked with two different people.

I will figure something out, I can make my own mount somehow! They don't call me MacGyver for nothing! (and no i'm not going to use duct tape and a coat hanger)
I'm thinking a permenent underdash mount.

NYBo

Admiral

The instructions for my 385ci state that the release requires significant pressure to disengage the unit.

kcfromohio

Seaman

NYBo, describe significant pressure. I'm 6 foot tall and weigh 190. I'm in great shape! I think my 130 pound wife should be able apply enough pressure to remove the fish finder! She has no problem with her GPS in her SUV!

NYBo

Admiral

NYBo, describe significant pressure. I'm 6 foot tall and weigh 190. I'm in great shape! I think my 130 pound wife should be able apply enough pressure to remove the fish finder! She has no problem with her GPS in her SUV!
I guess they made it hard to remove so the unit won't disengage while underway in heavy seas.