Time to give up on this lawn mower?

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Sears Craftsman self propelled (belt drives gear case on front axle), 9 yrs. old., 22" cut.

I was mowing today and hit a tree root. It stopped dead. I pushed it back to the shed & the blade was severely bent....put on an old blade I had, got it started again, but it makes a loud rattle sound. I checked to see that the blade wasn't hitting any part of the deck, and was tight. Is the shaft likely bent? Don't know much about lawn mowers. Any hope for this thing?

Thanks.

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Time to give up on this lawn mower?

Blade shaft could be bent,
connecting rod could also be bent.

Older mower don't take kindly to being stopped instantly. Momentum usually takes over and bad things can happen.

I guess I would take the plug out,
Flip it on it's side and rotate the blade, If no obvious damage take the blade off and see if the shaft has any "new" metal look to it. This would be a sign of bending or stretching.

mscher

Lieutenant

Sheared flywheel key?

I recently gave away a perfectly good running pushmower, that would no longer start after It sheared the key. (hit my 50th large rock). I figured that it might be the problems, but a outdoor family event was looming very near and i needed a mower not another repair project.

Could be a .99 cent fix.( excluding labor). Sheared key will thow timing off, making engine noises, almost like a rod knocking.

puddle jumper

Captain

Yup that was the death of my Craftsman mower. It was a good mower. I guess you need to look at the mower whether to try repair or replace.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I really like the mower and it's been a good one, but at that age, not sure it is worth trying to get repaired.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Sheared flywheel key? Could be a .99 cent fix.( excluding labor). Sheared key will thow timing off, making engine noises, almost like a rod knocking.

+1 ^^^^
I had the same thing happen. Sounded like it was going to throw a rod. Sent it into the shop and had to pay the full shop fee (around $70) for them to replace the key.

mscher

Lieutenant

I really like the mower and it's been a good one, but at that age, not sure it is worth trying to get repaired.

I beat the heck out my Walmart mower (B&S engine), Mowing 3 ft weeds, etc, for 7 years and the key, got it running good-as-new (only for someone else)

It's a relatively easy fix, for someome with slightly better than basic mechanic skills.

If that's all it takes to fix it (and it may have worse problems), you might be able to use the mower for another 9 years.

I'd at least have someone take a look at it. A new self propelled will run $250 and up and probably won't be as well built, as the one you have now.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Thanks, I've been looking around and your price mentioned is right on. It's definitely beyond my abilities, gotta think on it.

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The crank is not hardened steel, more than likely bent. Good thing is can still do a good job for many years. Check the key on the flywheel, may need to put a 21 inch blade will work.

bigdee

Commander

The crank is not hardened steel, more than likely bent. Good thing is can still do a good job for many years. Check the key on the flywheel, may need to put a 21 inch blade will work.

Yup, I agree with Fishing Dude too. I have had this happen three different times with 2 mowers (replaced engine on one). If you can live with the vibration it should last awhile. The vibration will eventually wreck havoc with fasteners (and your hands) but maybe you could reduce the throttle somewhat.

dwco5051

Commander

Years ago when the twice a year riff-raff collection was held I would go around with my pickup and take every lawn mower that looked half decent. About 1/3 of the non runners only needed a new flywheel key. Would make about half of what I picked up into running mowers I sold by swapping decks, wheels, etc. if needed. The rest went to the scrap yard for a few bucks cash. A quick way to make 2 or 3 hundred bucks back when that was a lot of money for one weekends work and less than five dollars in total parts. My boys will still pick up five or so good looking ones and get two runners for use on their own properties and give the rest to their buddies.