Please help 1996 mercury 90 elpto 3 cyl

Tido25

Cadet
Please help I have a 1996 mercury 90 elpto Og302523 the motor fires right up and runs great but once I go passed half thottle it changes tone and boggs from 3/4 to wide open it's driving me crazy I have changed the plugs,new fuel tank and hose, fresh gas, changed the middle coil, and when I put it in the shop he changed the fuel pump!! He said he didn't tear the carbs all the way down but what he looked at looked good the guy I bought it from said the carbs were cleaned 1 month before I bought it from him. The shop said the fuel pump was shot but it runs the same as it did befor I brought it there sooooo please help!!! Also right before where it starts to bogg it will surge so I back off a little bit and it's smooth again it sucks having all that throttle left and I can't use it!!

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: Please help 1996 mercury 90 elpto 3 cyl

Either a weak high speed stator or a restricted fuel supply, you need to test both to be sure.

DVA test the stator following the directions in the free downloadable Ignition Troubleshooting Guide found on the Support page at CDIElectronics

Temporarily substitute the fuel line to the carbs with a clear hose, run the motor and watch for air bubbles indicating air sucking into the system between the tank and pump, limiting W
OTfuel flow and power. Replace the hose when testing/repairs are conpleted.

Tido25

Cadet

Ok thanks gives something to go by I sure will be glad when I get it right thanks again

Tido25

Cadet

Well I had my boat droped off at the mercury shop today hopefully their techs can fix it because I'm tired of messing with it I'll let y'all know what they have to say when they hit me with the bill lol I sure hope they get it running right thanks for the help

Tido25

Cadet

Well after 1 1/2 weeks in the shop carbs cleaned, trigger, stator, and oil injection removed it still ran the same!!!!! But the tech found out the main jets were "washed out" or bad changed them and wow she's running great they put my old parts back on and only charged me $268 so I'm happy!!!