1961 Electric Seahorse 40hp......solenoid

ECHO74

Recruit
the motor has no solenoid....I would like to put one in and can only find a 3 post.....can anyone explaain how I would do this.....the motor starts when I touch the cable to the battery but would like to install a push button stater.....thanks for your help in advance

NYBo

Admiral
Re: 1961 Electric Seahorse 40hp......solenoid

Welcome to iboats!:cool:

There should be two large terminals and one smaller one. The wires from the battery positive and starter attach to the larger terminals, and power from the start switch goes to the smaller terminal. The solenoid should be getting ground (battery negative) from its mounting lug(s).

If you hook it up this way and nothing happens, reverse the wires on the larger terminals. However, the terminals should be labelled in some way, like "B" for battery.

ECHO74

Recruit

thanks for the welcome...........great thank you but one more question.....where do I hook up the negative for the push button?

NYBo

Admiral

thanks for the welcome...........great thank you but one more question.....where do I hook up the negative for the push button?
You don't. There is no negative connection for the push button. One wire runs to the battery positive, preferably with a fuse near the battery, the other goes to the small terminal on the solenoid.

ECHO74

Recruit

AHHHH.....thank you ever so much

CanWoodsman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That motor should already have a 3 post solenoid.
Must have been removed.