Bimini top question

longshanks

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all:

I've never owned/operated a bimini top before, but I just noticed an ad for one for sale in my area. It's never been used and the price is right. It was designed for a bowrider-type boat, but the boat I want to put it on is a simple aluminum skiff.

The top is 85" wide and my boat is 76". Is it sensible/possible to bend the frame a bit, or cut it to fit? I'm thinking that 4.5" overhang on either side might not be a problem, but it would be better to cut it if possible.

drivadesl

Cadet
Re: Bimini top question

Pretty sure there is some tolerance to the width ratings on these. If you have the make you may be able to look it up in any marine catalogue that carries the brand. I can't see cutting it down, unless you have a tig welder or a good fabricator where you can join the tubes back together and still have some stiffness. And doing so you may end up with the bimini flopping aroudn since they like to be taught and tight. Be sure it will fit your boat before buying would be my suggestion.

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I've seen them mounted with a little flare to the bows (mount wider that top). Never seen on go in though. Agree that checking same top online for mounting specs or manual might be good way to go.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

My bimini is a good 4" wider on each side than my gunwales. I drilled out the end eyes from their original 1/4" hole to something a little bigger (can't recall what right now, not more than another 1/8" I'm sure). There's enough play in the deck mounts that it's not a problem.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If it is made with the aluminum poles, it will have enough tolerance to compensate for the width. Lowering it is easy as well and the tubes can be cut with a pipe cutter from any home improvement store or a hacksaw if you can make a straight cut. Most marine supply places also carry the connecting hardware so you can be creative with your setup- quick release, adjustable positions, etc.