Upper shift shaft removal/exhaust bellows

MTBoat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Would appreciate some advice on two points.

1. Main Q: I need to take out the upper shift shaft to get exhaust bellows too in. The set screw came loose ok, but what's the next steps to get it removed? Any damage concerns or things to look out for?

2. I already put the exhaust bellows on the transom side and am ready to put the ujoint bellows onto the transom side since they are secured to the bell housing side. Did I make a mistake and now first need to remove the exhaust bellows in order to push the bell housing far enough in to get the ujoint bellows to lock in,,,,or can I manage it with the exhaust bellows either: put on both ends first, or just push hard enough with it sitting in the way.

I don't want to remove exhaust bellows now, it if I don't have to, but, will if needed.

Thanks

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: Upper shift shaft removal/exhaust bellows

with bellows adhesive on the transom side of the u-joint bellows it should pop onto the flange in the gimbal housing fairly easily with even force on the bell housing

you dont need to remove the shift shaft to install the exhaust bellows on the bell housing, that is why the bellows spreader tool disassembles

MTBoat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Upper shift shaft removal/exhaust bellows

Excellent input, thanks.

Do you know if my having the exhaust bellows already secured on the transom side will impair my being able to slide the ujoint bellows on ot do I need to take it off and put it back on after the Ujoint bellows are complete?
That was my only other question.